The Cross Cultural Learner Centre and OCASI Positive Spaces Initiative would like to invite Executive Directors, Managers and Board Members to attend a full day Professional Development Training.
1.Everyone deserves a place at the table. Many of the barriers newcomers with in/visible disabilities experience are systemic and institutionalized. In this workshop for Executive Directors, Board members and managers we will:
- Discuss the medical and social models of disability
- Learn more about disability legislation's and policies (.e.g. AODA, Ontario Human Rights Act, The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, etc.) so your organization can better support newcomer with in/visible disabilities
- Provide management with accessible and inclusive strategies at the service and organizational level
2. Is your agency a Positive Space for all. Positive Spaces for LGBTQIA* clients cannot happen by default. Especially given the trauma that some newcomers bring with them due to persecution (or fear of persecution) in their homeland, efforts must be obvious and communication has to be clear that agencies acknowledge, welcome, are prepared for, and are able to properly serve LGBTQIA individuals. This workshop, designed for Managers, Executive Directors and Board Members will:
- Raise awareness about access to services for LGBTQIA* Newcomers as a human right
- Highlight strategies that management can use in creating and supporting organizational change using the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) as a framework
- Provide management with resources and information to deal with some of the possible resistance they may experience in the workplace
Note: Space is limited, therefore register early to secure a seat. Let us if know if you have any accessibility needs.
To register, please click here