Equity, Inclusion & Racial Justice Change-Making Conversation

Start date: 
Tuesday, November 28, 2017 -
5:30pm to 8:30pm
Postal address: 
Toronto Central YMCA Centre
20 Grosvenor Street
Toronto, ON
Canada

Description

A community forum to bring together First Peoples and peoples of colour to share their respective visions, strategies and priorities on:

  • ensuring a more inclusive, equitable, and racially just environment across Ontario;
  • where fair and equitable life chances, opportunities and outcomes exist for all Ontarians;
  • building an Ontario that acknowledges, understands and appreciates the nature of Treaty relationship;
  • is committed to building a Treaty-based, nation-to-nation, government-to-government Indigenous-settler relationship going forward.

Featuring speakers:

  • Kim Murray, Assistant Deputy Attorney General – Indigenous Justice Division, Ministry of Attorney General (former Executive Director of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission)
  • Councillor Joe Mihevc, Ward 21 St. Paul's, City of Toronto Poverty Reduction Advocate and Newcomer Advocate
  • Shalini Konanur, Executive Director – South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario
  • Avvy Go, Clinic Director – Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic

(Speakers list will be updated as more confirmations are received)

Moderated by Debbie Douglas, Executive Director,  – Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants

  • As of the 2016 Census - 4.9% of Canada’s population is now Indigenous, and 22.3% are now peoples of colour - together making up 27.2% of Canadians.
  • In Ontario - First Peoples make up 1.8% of the province, and peoples of colour are 29.3% of Ontarians. Together they account for almost a full 1/3 of the population of Ontario at 31.1%.
  • As Canada and Ontario commemorate their 150th anniversaries, it is important that these ever more numerous voices not be left behind, particularly as these historically marginalized communities and equity-seeking groups continue to find themselves consistently clustered at the wrong end of most social, health or economic indicators.
  • Working to deepen and broaden shared understanding and a healthy relationship between and across First Peoples and peoples of colour in the province is fundamental to the work of racial justice change-making in Ontario and Canada.
  • Communities of colour need to know, support and commit themselves to help realize the 94 Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission , as well as the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples .

To register please click here