The primary role of the Employment Counsellor is to provide individual career and employment counselling support services to people within Sault Ste. Marie and Area. This includes assisting with; job searches; resume development; helping people obtain information related to employment services, community services, and education and training. The Employment Counsellor Intern will assist clients in; creating resumes; filling out job applications; preparing for job interviews. The Employment Counsellor will perform client assessments to determine levels of motivation to provide long-term employment and career guidance. He or she must also be able to inform clients of education and other career related programs and assist them in accessing those programs.
Reports to: Ryan Mead, Employment Services Supervisor
Intake and Assessment
- Evaluate motivation of clients, assist clients with identifying long and short-term goals based upon strengths, barriers, interests, aptitudes, prior work experience, education, etc.
- Complete Needs Determination assessment with clients
- Develop return to work action plans with clients
- Work with clients to develop tools for job searches such as resumes, cover letters, job leads, etc.
- Assist clients with skill assessments, providing support with career goals or retraining options
- Make recommendations for further services, in-house or with other organizations, agencies and institutions
- Maintain appointments and/or telephone contact with clients providing support and guidance
- Complete and maintain files, adhering to organizational standards (return-to-work plans, case notes, etc.)
- Communicate with contacts on behalf of clients as required
- Perform case management and monitor intake appropriateness and client numbers ensuring all targets are met
- Complete follow-up calls monthly, compile client statistics and provides monthly report to management
- Make non-routine decisions within established goals and objectives.
- Attend, and participate in staff meetings and professional development training sessions;
- Provide information related to updating resources;
- Photocopy and fax information for clients;
- Complete all case management data entry;
- Participate as a member of the Sault Community Career Centre (SCCC) team in developing marketing strategies;
- Promote the services of the SCCC to walk-in, over the telephone contacts and community members at large;
- Attend job fairs and community events as well as participate in fundraising events.
- Act as a workshop facilitator, as required;
- Provide information to co-workers and assists others, as required;
- Comply with the agency’s vision, values, policies and procedures;
- Perform other tasks as assigned by management.
- Three or Four Year University Degree in a related discipline
- Effective communication skills, with an emphasis on listening;
- Time management and organizational skills;
- Coaching, goal-setting and motivational skills;
- Computer, office software and database use proficiency;
- Research and data entry skills;
- Analysis and interpretation of data;
- In-depth understanding of job search practices, tools, and trends;
- Knowledge of local labour market, resources, education/training programs, institutions and community services;
- Experience and skilled in conflict resolution, facilitation and presentation skills;
- Awareness of and respect for cultural diversity;
- Awareness of and sensitivity to persons with disabilities and mental health disorders;
- Experience in motivational interviewing and assessment is an asset;
- Bilingualism is an asset.
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
How to apply:
Qualified candidates should submit their resume and cover letter by email, no later than Friday, January 13, 2017 at 3:00 p.m. to:
Sault Community Career Centre
503 Queen Street East
Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 2A2
The Sault Community Career Centre is an inclusive employer who is committed to an application and interview process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code/AODA. Applicants need to make any accommodation requests for the application or interview process known in advance by contacting the Manager at (705) 759-0909 ext. 4261.
Thank you to all candidates for their interest; however; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.