Catholic Crosscultural Services (CCS) is a settlement agency providing a wide range of services to immigrants and refugees regardless of race, religion or status. CCS is seeking casual-on-call, LINC Instructors to teach English as a Second Language and Canadian life skills in a class for newcomers to Canada.
- Teach a daily class in compliance with LINC Curriculum Guidelines and Canadian Language Benchmarks.
- Develop and maintain an anti-bias classroom atmosphere where participants feel welcome and interested in learning.
- Combine classroom teaching with computer lab instruction; apply ESL educational software.
- Jointly plan with the Manager events to complement curriculum activities
- Orient students to portfolios as a learning and assessment tool
- Work with students individually to determine their learning goals and provide ongoing feedback
- Prepare and administer tests to evaluate students’ progress
- Participate in professional development sessions and actively utilize information to enhance teaching
- Ensure ongoing attendance and active participation of learners each day
- Design and provide professional, appropriate and motivational short and long-term lesson plans consistent with accepted teaching methods and the needs and level of the class.
- Create lesson plans that are outcome based and have identified measurement processes
- Incorporate a variety of learning materials into lesson plans to meet different learning styles
- Maintain clear and accurate record of students’ achievements, outcomes and attendance
- Provide daily lesson plans in timely manner to LINC Manager
- Orient students to and ensure that relevant CCS policies are implemented and followed
- Collaborate with other CCS staff to ensure LINC participants have access to the full suite of available CCS programs.
- Ensures the confidentiality of all client and agency files and documentation (electronic and hard copy) in accordance with all required policies
- Ensures responsible use and care of all CCS equipment and resources
- Complete monthly reports and provide narrative and statistical information as required
- TESL Certificate from a recognized institution and ongoing membership with TESL Ontario
- Previous successful experience (minimum 2 years) teaching ESL at various levels
- Excellent lesson planning skills
- Demonstrated experience working with adults of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Computer skills with knowledge of ESL educational software, MS Word and Internet
- Good knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmarks and ability to benchmark students’ progress
- Ability to work independently with solid time management and organizational skills
- Punctual, reliable, and disciplined
- All offers of employment are contingent upon receipt of a clear criminal reference check
Hours: As required
Rate of Pay: $37.13 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
Contract Duration: Ongoing
How to apply:
Please send resume and cover letter quoting file # T258 no later than 9:00 am on October 20, 2017 to:
CCS welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. CCS is an equal opportunity employer.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.