Sistering is a dynamic trans-inclusive women’s organization that offers practical and emotional support through programs which enable participants to take greater control over their lives. Sistering works to change social conditions which endanger women’s welfare.
The 24/7 drop-in is a low barrier and welcoming space for women to come and meet service providers, peer support workers and other women with shared lived experience. Sistering’s philosophy is trauma informed and based on principles of harm reduction and inclusiveness.
The focus of this position is to support Sistering through management of the administration systems of the organization by developing and implementing efficient office administration and communication procedures. In addition, the Office and Building Manager is responsible for the management of the building to ensure the smooth operations of the facility to a high level of health and safety standards. The Coordinator is part of the management team and provides administrative support to the Executive Director, Board, Unit Directors and Coordinators.
- Supports Executive Director, Board, Unit Directors and Coordinators
- Manages non-participant central filing systems, update and archive as needed
- Supports Executive Director in coordinating Board meetings
- Manages and executes the central purchasing system of the agency
- Manages TTC purchase and allocation as well as petty cash
- Manages and schedules drivers and ensures van is properly maintained
- Supports Onboarding of new staff
- Manage office communication systems such as phone, computer and filing system
- Manage maintenance and inventory of organization’s equipment, furniture and supplies
- Manages and monitors the terms of all insurance policies and contracts
- Manages and supervises reception area
- Oversees security and manage/develops theft prevention systems
- Oversees IT consultant and ensures timely repairs
Building Maintenance and Property Management
- Oversee property management and building maintenance
- Overseeing cleaning contracts as well as maintenance work (eaves, glass window cleaning, kitchen equipment, fire prevention carpentry repairs, security system and lighting, fax, photocopier and postage equipment)
- Maintains key system
- Maintains and updates maintenance contracts and contacts
- Responsible to ensure space is well maintained and clean and meets health and safety standards
- Managing the upkeep of equipment and supplies to meet health and safety standards
- Inspection buildings’ structure to determine the need for repairs
- Review utilities consumption and strive to minimize costs
Health and Safety Coordination
- Act as Sistering’s subject matter expert and authoritative advisor to the senior management team
- Lead and conduct the assessment of risks associated with the onsite operations and infrastructure
- Develop operational policies, templates and guidelines for use by management and staff in ensuring risks are mitigated
- Promote a positive OHS culture through awareness, ongoing communication and continuous improvement.
Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 3 years of proven experience in similar position
- Knowledge of office administrator responsibilities, systems and procedures
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and ability to build effective relationships with diverse people (participants, team members, suppliers and community partners) • Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work in a fast paced and demanding work environment
- Strong analytical/critical thinking skills
- Have analytical and problem-solving skills to interpret a range of provincial, municipal and federal level legislation, by-laws and statutes
- Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail and team building
- Senior executive assistance experience or degree/diploma in Occupational Health and Safety and/or equivalent
- Additional languages besides English an asset
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and working with databases an asset
- Hands on experience with office machines (e.g. fax machines and printers)
- Familiarity with email scheduling tools
- You are able to interpret and apply legislation and by-laws such as the Fire Code, Building Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act and other related legislations
- You have knowledge in workplace hazard assessments and the use/maintenance of related specialized work and safety equipment (e.g., designated substances, fuel safety requirements, contractor safety matters, lifting devices)
- You have excellent negotiating, influencing and advisory skills to provide authoritative advice on risk mitigation, risk management to the senior management and staff
The Office and Building Coordinator main location is at the Bloor St. location. The position involves some physical effort (walking around In/between floors, lifting and standing during meal serving). There may be the risk of exposure to potentially unpredictable behaviours and situations. The 24/7 Drop-In is a pet friendly facility and employees will be expected to be in the proximity of animals.
Salary: $52,634.40 - $59,386.60 + benefits
How to apply:
Please submit your resume quoting Office and Building Manager in the subject line by November 27, 2017 to:
Attention Hiring Committee
962 Bloor St. West
Toronto, Ontario M6H1L6
Sistering is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from diverse individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code.
If contacted regarding an employment opportunity and you need accommodation throughout the selection process, please contact Tina Cai, at firstname.lastname@example.org for accommodation measures needed to enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Any information provided relating to accommodation measures will be addressed in confidence.