CultureLink is seeking a contract staff to work 7 hours/week for the International Student Connect Program (ISC). The ISC Program Worker is part of a city-wide ISC partnership with Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS) agencies in Toronto, COSTI and specific post-secondary institutions. The successful candidate will be conducting information sessions and one-on-one settlement support for International Students at Humber North and Humber Lakeshore locations. CultureLink works within an anti-oppression framework and is committed to equity.
- Promote the program and to establish a positive working relationship with the Humber College, COSTI, community agency and academic institution partners
- Develop presentations as per the ISC presentation framework developed by COSTI and in response to topics of need among international students (IS) identified by Humber College
- Ability to respond to occasional last minute presentation requests from College
- Agility to revise plans in response to emerging needs and develop multi-topic presentations
- Multitask with various program responsibilities: presentations, data input, phone calls, emails, etc.
- Identify the service needs of International Students from all cultural groups; respond in a timely manner to all service requests including referrals
- Provide settlement services and assistance to meet the needs of IS
- Effective liaison and planning with Humber College International Students’ Centre personnel
- Develop and facilitate a specified number of group sessions to meet the needs of the participants
- Prepare and submit statistical and progress reports to supervisor as required by ISC and COSTI
- Weekly statistical input including apprising supervisor in a timely manner of trends and activities
- Participation in program evaluation with client input surveys and program development
- Participate in regular program and agency team meetings and agency-wide activities as required
- Promote ISC through various social media channels including Instagram, What’s App, Live Streaming, and in collaboration with International Student Centre ISC partnership designates
- Document ISC activities through photos, testimonial and client interviews ensuring media release processes and client approval is secured
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Post-secondary degree in field relevant to job or combination of equivalent education/ experience
- Solid understanding and knowledge of issues encountered by International Students
- Progressive 3- 5 years of practical experience in settlement services, i.e., one-on-one counseling and group sessions; experience working with newcomers and diverse populations
- Strong group facilitation skills and presentation development skills; with and without Powerpoint
- In depth knowledge of community resources and ability to research for appropriate resources
- Polished interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Humber College personnel and other service providers
- Understanding and sensitivity to issues affecting newcomers
- Strong program planning skills, and proven track record taking initiative identifying effective programs that address the needs of international youth in the post-secondary system
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Demonstrative initiative and self-direction required; Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and on a team and to give input into program and strategic planning
- Commitment to anti-racism and combating other forms of discrimination
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Fluency in additional languages considered an asset
- Vulnerable sector Police reference check and proof of the TB test are required.
This is a Bargaining Unit Position
Start Date: September 18, 2017
End Date: December 29, 2017
Hours: 7 hours/week
Salary: $25.22 – 26.74 per hour
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume by email quoting reference number CLU-2017-30 by September 14, 2017 at 5:00 pm. to:
Interviews may be arranged as resumes are received.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in the position, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.