The mission of the Centre for Spanish-Speaking Peoples (CSSP) is to enhance the quality of life for our community members. We deliver culturally appropriate services to advance the social and economic integration of our community into broader society.
Purpose of Position:
The Volunteer Coordinator facilitates the various aspects of volunteer recruitment, coordination and engagement at the CSSP. The purpose of the position is to outreach, recruit, select, screen, place, train, support and recognize community volunteers engaged in the CSSP’s programs and events in the community. In addition, the Volunteer Coordinator will develop meaningful volunteer opportunities that are aligned with the CSSP’s work and mission.
- Liaises with the administration, project and program staff, to identify volunteer recruitment needs and ensure the best use of existing volunteer skills and interests. Collaborates with staff to ensure support and continuity of volunteer activities
- Designs, implements and maintains a volunteer plan for ongoing need in the short and long-term
- Reviews existing CSSP’s volunteer policies and prepares drafts for approval including policy changes, job descriptions, liability and privacy acts
- Maintains and expands established community donors; able to recognize donors, and community stakeholders
- Develops recruitment strategies, recruits, interviews, screens, selects, and places volunteers in appropriate programs within the organization
- Prepares job descriptions and work plans for each volunteer
- Designs and delivers a volunteer orientation and training plan for new volunteers and ensures appropriate supervision and logistical support by staff of the Centre
- Liaises with other community agencies to identify needs and volunteer opportunities in the sector
- Provides motivation and ongoing support to volunteers and ensures appropriate recognition (both formal and informal)
- Enters and maintains volunteers’ information on skills, job placement, impacts, outcomes and results of volunteer experiences
- Responds to information needs and requests from other community agencies, volunteers and potential volunteers
- Assists in the search of leads regarding fundraising opportunities pertaining to volunteer development and training opportunities
- Assists with volunteer Board and Board sub-committees training components
- Provides statistical information and written reports as required
- Attends staff meetings, especial committee meetings and Board meetings as required
- Writes reference letters upon volunteers’ requests
- Proven computer skills - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, email and faxing
- Ability to maintain records and provide verbal and written reports
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills and the ability to work effectively in a team oriented environment. Working knowledge of community development and adult training practices
- Fluent in Spanish and English – both spoken and written
- Work experience in a service oriented non-profit organization
- Completion of College or University degree or diploma in social sciences
- 2 – 3 years experience in the volunteer sector
- Diploma or certificate in volunteer management is an asset
- The working conditions for this position are as stipulated in the Collective Agreement
- This position is required to work within office hours (Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm). In addition, this position might be required to work some weekends and evenings depending on the need of the Program and the Centre’s volunteers.
- This is a Bargaining Unit Position.
How to apply:
Send your resume and cover letter via email by Monday 18 of September 2017 to:
Attn: Programs and Services Director
Centre for Spanish Speaking Peoples
2141 Jane Street, 2nd Floor
Toronto – ON M3M 1A2
Make sure to write “Re: Volunteer Coordinator position” in the email subject line.
The Centre for Spanish Speaking Peoples is an equal opportunity employer.
Thank you to all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.