Indus Community Services is an accredited, not-for-profit community benefit organization that has served local communities for over 32 years. We are a registered charity, supported by our donors and by all three levels of government. Through our professional staff, we are a leader in the provision of culturally appropriate services to newcomers, families, women & seniors.
The incumbent will work as part of a multidisciplinary team developing and supporting a new youth initiative to help youth build self-esteem and positive self-identity and develop strategies that will lead to empowered, inter-connected and resilient youth, creating a climate of inclusion within their community.
- Conduct focus groups to identify issues of inclusion and equity relevant to youth
- Provide input to curriculum development from an inclusion and equity lens
- Assist in recruiting and training volunteers for the program
- Liaise with appropriate school staff and community stakeholders to generate awareness of program and ensure successful delivery
- Develop and conduct volunteer training sessions with an emphasis on inclusion, understanding the newcomer experience and leadership skills development
- Employ effective youth engagement strategies in all aspects of program development and implementation
- Ensure completion of program evaluation to assess impact of program and make recommendations to enhance program outcomes
- Input client information into database, and maintain up-to-date records of service delivery and client case files
- Participate in community-based committees and collaborate with community groups
- Liaise with community & network partners, agencies & groups to enhance working relationships & promote Indus’s services & programs
- Complete all required statistical and narrative reports
- Participate in staff and team meetings, and professional development opportunities, as required
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors of Social Work/Child Youth and Parenting Diploma or a Registered Social Worker with a minimum of two years’ experience working with marginalized youth.
- Demonstrated understanding of diversity, inclusion and equity in the context of youth engagement
- Demonstrated skills in case management, group facilitation, curriculum development and conflict resolution techniques
- Solid interpersonal, problem-solving, decision-making, analytical and research skills
- Knowledge of group dynamics and ability to facilitate group processes
- Ability to maintain confidential records and documentation, in addition to writing objective and descriptive contact notes
- Ability to network & liaison with internal programs and external service providers & facilitate the development of partnerships
- Demonstrated verbal & written English communication skills and an additional language (Hindi/Urdu, Punjabi, and Arabic) an asset
- Organize and prioritize work effectively, with the ability to work independently with minimum supervision and effectively in a team setting
- Computer proficiency in Windows Office Suite and the internet and experience using a database system
- Current Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Screening will be required
- Valid Driver’s License with own transportation a must
- Ability to work flexible hours including evening and weekends
- Strong attention to detail and flexible to deal with changing demands of the job
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application, including a complete resume of qualifications and experience, electronically by 12:00pm, August 7th, 2017 to:
Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of ‘Youth Engagement Worker - (insert your name)’
Indus Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process.
Indus Community Services encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.