Ontario’s Immigration Strategy includes a focus on improving outcomes for vulnerable newcomers who face additional integration barriers.
In 2016, Ontario experienced a significant increase in the number of refugees and refugee claimants settling in the province. In this context, the Ministry seeks to build on recent successes and further enhance the settlement and employment supports available to refugees, refugee claimants and other vulnerable newcomers. For this purpose, the Ministry has committed $6.5M in 2017-18 and $11.0M in 2018-19.
Through this Call for Proposals, applicants may apply for funding to enhance targeted services for refugees, refugee claimants, and other newcomers with intensive employment, health and mental health needs. Applicants may apply under the following funding streams and priorities:
- Social Integration: Social integration projects will offer targeted and specialized programming adapted to the needs of clients who face significant settlement barriers due to factors such as low education, low official language fluency, high health or mental health needs, and/or disability.
- Direct Service
- Capacity Building
- Economic Integration: Economic integration projects will offer targeted training for newcomers with low levels of education and language fluency. Projects may focus on employment or entrepreneurship and include wrap-around supports that maximize opportunities for success.
Organizations who wish to target settlement services to the broader immigrant population should explore opportunities with other MCI programs. In 2017, the Ministry is releasing CFPs for all of its major programs, including the Newcomer Settlement Program and the Ontario Bridge Training Program. For more information, visit Grants by Ministry.
Questions Related to the CFP
MCI will organize information session for applicants to learn about funding objectives and eligible activities. These information sessions will take place:
By teleconference (English):
- July 5, 2017, 10:00 am - 11:30 am
- July 12, 2017, 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm
By teleconference (French):
- July 6, 2017, 10:00 am - 11:30 am
To join a teleconference, please dial 416-212-8014 (local) or 1-866-500-5845 (toll-free) and use Conference ID 6439894.
In person session (English):
- June 29, 2017, 11:00 am - 12:30 noon, 777 Bay St, 6th floor boardroom, Toronto
- June 29, 2017, 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm, 777 Bay St, 6th floor boardroom, Toronto
Space is limited. Please RSVP to RefugeeCFP@ontario.ca
For full details, including eligibility requirements and program guidelines please click here