OCASI - Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants in collaboration with Living Works presents: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
ASIST is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first-aid. ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may be at risk of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. ASIST helps to build regional networks of trained caregivers who can support each other and use common terminology to approach suicide and safety.
This training is part of a free Mental Health Promotion workshop series open to OCASI member agencies working with immigrants and refugees.
Over the course of their two-day workshop, ASIST participants learn to:
- Understand the ways that personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
- Provide guidance and suicide first aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs
- Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
- Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life-promotion and self-care
Please note that attendance is mandatory for both days in order to complete this training. We regret that no transportation cost will be provided for participants traveling from outside Toronto.
Breakfast & lunch will be provided for both days.
For more information, accessibility requests and dietary restrictions, please contact Sana Imran at email@example.com or 416-322-4950 ext. 285