OCASI - Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants is pleased to announce the upcoming Facilitated E-learning Training on Creating Positive Spaces for LGBTQIA+ Newcomers.
Purpose of Course
The Positive Spaces Initiative is pleased to announce a FREE introductory course to help frontline practitioners working with immigrant and refugee communities who identify as LGBTQIA+(lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual) to better understand the various barriers and challenges they face when accessing settlement services.
LGBTQIA+ newcomers and refugees are an integral though often invisible, part of immigrant, refugee and LGBTQIA+ communities. Experiencing marginalization from within cultural communities and mainstream LGBTQIA+ communities often leaves individuals feeling that there are few options for obtaining services. This course will allow settlement sector employees to acquire new skills and knowledge in areas related to equitable service provision to LGBTQIA* immigrants and refugees.
OCASI is committed to supporting the settlement sector create welcoming, positive and inclusive spaces for all.
Upon completion of the Training you will be able to:
- Apply the principles of an anti-racism/anti-oppression framework to support immigrants, refugees, and newcomers living in Ontario
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various barriers and issues surrounding LGBTQIA+ individuals in their access to services
- Situate yourself in the context of systemic oppressions faced by LGBTQIA+ newcomers in order to better serve as an ally to LGBTQIA+ newcomers living in Ontario
- Demonstrate an understanding of your responsibilities as a service provider in the settlement sector by implementing best practices to create and maintain a positive space for LGBTQIA+ newcomers in your agency
Criteria for Participation:
This course is open to settlement workers and service providers who are working in or with the LGBTQIA+ immigrant and refugee serving sector across the province who are willing to:
- Commit to approximately 2-4 hours of learning each week for a period of 4 weeks
- Engage in active participation and complete assignments each week
- Complete the entire program
At the successful completion of the entire e-course you will receive a certification of completion from OCASI. Please note this is a 4-week facilitated Online training.
You will receive instructions on how to access the course materials 2 days prior to the beginning of the course. There is not a “LIVE” component to the training and you are expected to review each week’s course materials at your own time and complete the work on a weekly basis. While you can access each module at your convenience during each week for the course, they will be available as follows:
- Module 1: Wednesday, April 24th, 2019
- Module 2: Wednesday, May 1st, 2019
- Module 3: Wednesday, May 8th, 2019
- Module 4: Wednesday, May 15th, 2019
Register Early: Enrollment is limited This course will be completed on Wednesday, May 22nd, 2019.
Registration Deadline: Friday, April 19th, 2017, 5:00pm Eastern Time (or once registration fills up)
For more information, please contact: Sizwe Inkingi 416-322-4950 ext. 252 or firstname.lastname@example.org
OCASI’s “Creating Positive Spaces for LGBTQIA+ Newcomers” online training series is a part of our Access and Equity Program, and is graciously funded by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.