With 37 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, and language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas.
Reporting to the Manager of Programs and Services, the Social Services Assistant will support settlement project staff and work closely with the program staff to design innovative workshops, develop new topics for training and new group activities. This role will aim to understanding the needs of newcomer refugee and immigrant clients and develop interactive workshops and group sessions. Additional tasks include project outreach and promotion, providing information and referrals to project participants and other tasks as required.
- Provides administrative and clerical duties to support Settlement staff and clients
- Assists in organizing virtual events; activities/seminars/workshops
- Outreach and project promotion
- Support networking, social mentoring
- Represent the agency at events, information booths and community events
- Provide excellent customer service and represent the agency in a positive light to community members and partners
- Event planning, coordination and implementation
- Support administrative needs (e.g. answering phones, responding to community inquiries, filing, photocopying etc.)
- Other tasks as required.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Eager to work with newcomers and equity seeking communities
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic employment setting
- Strong customer service skills
- Ethical, positive work attitude
- Punctual, reliable
- Ability to speak a language other than English and French is an asset
- Strong grasp of working online, Gmail, Google docs, Excel, Prezi, etc.
- Accurate, detail oriented
- College diploma in Social Service Worker or a related field
- And/or currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution
- And/or relevant direct experience working with newcomers, equity seeking communities
- Applicants must have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 30 upon commencement of employment
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- International students are not eligible
- Ability to secure a police Vulnerable Sector Check is mandatory and must be provided prior to starting employment
Contract type: Contract (8 weeks)
Start date: June 29, 2020
Hours: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
Rate: $ 14.00
Location: 791 St. Clair Ave West Toronto
How to apply:
Please send your application by to:
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.