Who we are:
OCASI - Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants acts as a collective voice for immigrant and refugee-serving organizations and coordinates responses to shared needs and concerns. OCASI is a registered charity governed by a volunteer board of directors and a membership of over 232 community-based organizations in Ontario.
Our mission is to achieve equality, access and full participation for immigrants and refugees in every aspect of Canadian life. OCASI prides itself on the highest standard of ethics and compliance with our values, our mission, and vision.
OCASI is looking for a Bilingual Coordinator, National Online Bilingual Community of Practice to work with our Community of Practice (CoP) team.
OCASI maintains an online bilingual National Settlement Sector Community of Practice where sector staff, leaders, and those in related fields can learn, share, connect and collaborate. The Bilingual Coordinator plays a key role collaborating with stakeholders and experts nationally to ensure the ongoing growth and development of SettleNet.org. The Bilingual Coordinator will have a commitment to and awareness of equity, access to services, anti-racism and anti-oppression, gender-justice and anti-poverty as it relates to immigrants and refugees.
This position will report to OCASI’s Associate Executive Director.
- Be involved in/assist with collaborating with stakeholders and experts nationally to ensure the ongoing growth and development of SettleNet.org/ Réseau-Etab.Org, with an emphasis on the Francophone and bilingual settlement sector across Canada
- Developing project work plans, timelines, implementation strategies and plans
- Developing and implementing strategies to encourage and obtain stakeholder and community support
- Coordinating the development and expansion of a diverse and dynamic, geographically-dispersed online membership in accordance with the community vision and project objectives
- Identifying, recruiting, training, and engaging leaders within the SettleNet.org/Réseau-Etab.Org community and lead them to facilitate community interaction and discussion to foster opportunities to share and exchange knowledge, expertise, problem-solving and mobilize around issue
- Helping to develop / evaluate / modify the community engagement strategy
- Identifying, recruiting, training and engaging Community Ambassadors to help promote and encourage the use of Reseau-Etab / SettleNet.org
- Helping to develop /evaluate / modify the outreach and promotion strategy for Reseau-Etab / SettleNet.org
- Day-to-day online community maintenance tasks such as responding to community support requests.
- Being involved in producing reports for funders and stakeholders
- Maintaining an updated knowledge base of issues related to all aspects of the newcomer settlement process
- Contributing to a healthy and safe environment for oneself and others as well as complying with all safe working procedures and instructions including OCASI’s policies and procedures
- Creating a safe and supportive learning environment
- Upholding OCASI’s basic principles for workplace environment including commitments to the needs, directions and concerns of immigrants and refugees and OCASI’s member organizations
- Embracing and actively upholding OCASI’s mission, equity, access, anti-racism and anti-operation principles
- Acknowledging, appreciating and encourage individual differences and value people for their skills, competencies and contribution to OCASI’s continuing success
- Other duties as assigned
- Relevant post-secondary diploma or degree (e.g. social science, social work, community development, immigration & settlement studies) or equivalent acceptable combination of education and experience working in the non-profit sector
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar role as a coordinator working in a non-profit or community-based agency in the immigrant services sector or other relevant community services sector
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both French and English including the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and influence decision-makers
- Experience building or facilitating online communities and/or communities of practice
- Knowledge and understanding of the needs of Francophone and bilingual Canadians working with newcomers
- Advanced digital communication skills, including social media and email marketing.
- Experience with Drupal content management system and Google Analytics an asset
- Experience in exploring partnership opportunities, and building, nurturing, and sustaining partnerships across a wide variety of stakeholders and organizations.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of social justice, cultural competency and equity and inclusion
- Strong relationship building and networking skills as well as the ability to establish rapport with members, partners, staff and volunteers
- Detailed-oriented with strong organizational skills to meet tight deadlines and demanding schedules
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to consult, collaborate and work as part of a team
Job type: Part-time position - 21 hrs/week
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and resume with Bilingual Coordinator, National Online Bilingual Community of Practice in the title by November 2nd, 2020 to:
The Hiring Committee, OCASI
OCASI is committed to Employment Equity. OCASI hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from members of racialized groups, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. We are committed to achieving full accessibility for persons with disabilities by arranging for any necessary accommodations.
Thank you to all applicants for applying however, we regret only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.