Program Overview – Adult Settlement Services, Community Programs
WoodGreen Newcomer Services has helped newcomers in East Toronto to settle, adjust, and integrate into society for more than four decades. Funded by the three levels of government, WoodGreen Newcomer Services provides settlement services, language programs, employment services, employment bridging programs, mentorship programs, networking activities, and social and recreational activities.
- Conduct needs assessment and develop a service delivery plan to address these needs
- Provide supportive counselling and connect clients and/or their family or caregivers to community resources such as housing, health services, education, language development, schools, recreation, and employment supports
- Provide active case management, service co-ordination, system navigation, short and long-term planning, and follow-up support
- Work closely with primary care to support positive settlement and health-related outcomes
- Ensure the coordination of services and a “continuum of care.”
- Provide settlement related crisis intervention and practical assistance to clients
- Advocate on behalf of clients and/or their family or caregivers
- Facilitate and coordinate group programs including online workshops to provide information relating to settlement, health, and wellness
- Plan, implement, and evaluate outreach plans that promote the range of opportunities available to newcomers and their families
- Keep current about services available in the community and actively engage service providers in all areas to maximize newcomers’ access to resources and to enhance capacity for services
- Keep accurate and current documentation including statistical data and reports, and enter data to relevant data management systems.
- Post Graduate Degree/Masters preferably in Social Work or a related discipline
- Demonstrated experience working with newcomers providing settlement services and supportive counselling.
- What Will Set You Apart
- Demonstrated ability in supporting newcomers to address settlement related issues including trauma, mental health concerns, family dynamics, and labour market challenges
- Demonstrated ability in case management, system navigation, service coordination, planning and implementation, and supportive counselling
- Demonstrated ability in working effectively in a multi-disciplinary team or as a team member in collaboration with other community professionals
- Strong assessment and intervention skills
- Comprehensive knowledge about needs and issues of newcomers, immigrants, and refugees
- Knowledge of issues and supports around domestic violence and substance abuse issues
- Strong understanding and knowledge of the health sector including mental health supports, social determinants of health, and community resources
- Strong knowledge of funded social support resources such as Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program, Employment Insurance, etc
- Knowledge of issues affecting older adults and geriatric newcomer populations
- Ability to be self-directed, independent, flexible, and exercise good judgment
- Ability to work from a client-centred, harm reduction, and trauma informed approach
- Ability to work out of multiple partner and community sites, including negotiating with partners on resource sharing and referrals
- Strong English language skills both verbal and written with ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to communicate in a 2nd language is a strong asset (preferably in Bengali, Urdu, or Farsi)
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to communicate with clients from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Experienced in workshop development and facilitation
- Strong organizational, team work, and time management skills
- Proven ability to keep accurate and current documentation and use data management systems
- Strong computer skills.
How to apply:
Please email your cover letter and resume, quoting competition #2019-92-CP in the subject line, to:
WoodGreen is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free selection process and work environment. If contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, please advise our HR representative at firstname.lastname@example.org of the accommodation measures required. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Thank you to all applicants for applying; however only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.