East Metro Youth Services, Toronto Lead Agency and a fully accredited Children’s Mental Health Centre serving adolescents and their families in East Toronto for over 40 years, is inviting applications for the following full time permanent position.
This position, funded by the Ministry of Children & Youth Services, is an exciting opportunity to work as part of an outreach team with underserved Syrian and other Arabic speaking youth and their families in a comprehensive youth engagement initiative for marginalized youth, to include prevention, early intervention and program development activities.
- To initiate, develop and implement community outreach activities with underserved youth and communities in Toronto
- To outreach and engage marginalized youth and their families using the Stages of Change model
- Provide clinical support to underserved youth and their families
- Provide brokerage/advocacy/resourcing and act as an advocate for youth and families, and provide general information and referral services to the youth for mental health, recreation, housing, employment, education, health and other services
- Work collaboratively with youth, parents, youth service providers, schools, city staff and law enforcement to develop effective service delivery plans that ensure that youth have access to programs, services and opportunities needed for healthy development by:
- Engaging youth to identify issues, needs, goals aspirations, skills, abilities and services needed as well as barriers to accessing these services
- Providing youth with information, contacts and referrals needed to facilitate access to programs, services and opportunities
- Engaging parents through existing parent groups, faith communities, etc., and provide education and information on issues related to parenting, etc.
- Organizing and participating in public education seminars, workshops, groups and training for youth, parents and service providers
- Help initiate new services in response to identified service requests and community needs
- Facilitate connections between youth and their neighbourhood and promote awareness of the positive role of youth in the community
- Develop an understanding of neighborhood demographics, and location of services, programs and community assets available in the local neighbourhood
- Identify emerging community issues, service gaps and opportunities for action to build on community capacity
- Record and maintain service statistics
- Must be fluent in English and Arabic
- Master's degree in Social Work, Counseling Psychology or equivalent and eligible for certification /membership in a registered professional association for practitioners in clinical therapy
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the life experiences and needs of the Syrian youth and other Arabic speaking communities an asset
- Have strong communication skills - written, verbal and computer literacy
- Demonstrated ability to work co-operatively and negotiate effectively within a multi-disciplinary team of service providers
- Demonstrated relevant experience
- Clear understanding of and commitment to a harm reduction approach
- Clear understanding of and commitment to supporting diverse communities and cultures
- Access to a vehicle is an asset but must have access to transportation within the GTA
- Preferred candidates will also be bilingual in both official languages; and
- Vulnerable Police check will be required prior to commencing position
How to apply:
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a resume by January 31, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. to:
Human Resources Manager
East Metro Youth Services
1200 Markham Road, Suite 200
Scarborough Ontario, M1H 3C3
Please quote Job # 17-4 in the subject line.
In accordance with the agency’s employment equity plan we are particularly interested in encouraging qualified applicants from all communities that reflect the diversity of the youth and families we serve. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. We ask applicants to make any accommodation requests when contacted for an interview. The agency assesses all candidates in a fair and equitable manner.
Only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted, no phone calls please.