Communications Associate – Immigration
Permanent, full-time position – Hamilton, ON
This uniquely rewarding career opportunity with the City of Hamilton’s Economic Development Division calls for a communications professional whose unique skill set combines knowledge of the strengths of immigrants and refugees with expertise in traditional marketing channels as well as social media tools and best practices. If this sounds like you, read on.
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, Immigration Partnership, and working with the Hamilton Immigration Partnership Council (HIPC), you’ll implement communication programs that support the operations of HIPC to attract and retain newcomers to Hamilton, while enhancing the city’s public image. As a Communications Associate – Immigration, you’ll also be responsible for various community outreach initiatives and projects.
Conversant with a broad range of marketing channels and diverse audiences, you’ll develop and implement a strategic, integrated communications and community engagement strategy for HIPC, working with the Senior Project Manager, HIPC members, and community partners, through projects, events, social media and online content, and the coordination of traditional marketing channels.
This permanent, full-time position offers a salary range of $62,087 to $72,616 per annum.
• Demonstrated experience in marketing, customer and/or a marketing communications environment normally acquired through the completion of a degree or diploma in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or a related discipline, and/or a combination of education and related work experience.
• Superior written, oral and visual communication skills, including experience in creating and editing with a high standard of accuracy.
• Experience in writing for diverse audiences using multiple formats.
• Proficiency and experience with current social media tools and best practices.
• Strong understanding of, and experience with, a broad range of marketing channels and diverse audiences.
• Capability of working independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team, and building strategic relationships both within and outside the organization.
• Excellent computer skills and knowledge of web-based applications, including MS Office.
• Working knowledge of, or ability to learn, graphic design using Canva.
• Demonstrated time management and project management skills.
• Ability to balance a number of projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
• Experience working with diverse community groups such as not-for-profit social agencies, various levels of government, ethno-cultural and faith-based communities, volunteer-based organizations and other stakeholders.
• Strong knowledge of the strengths and assets of immigrants and refugees. Lived experience as an immigrant or refugee is an asset.
About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities – home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged, empowered employees. Help us #BeTheReason the entire country is talking about Hamilton, and achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully.
How to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on this position as Communications Associate – Immigration, JOB ID #17115, and to apply online, by Wednesday, March 24, 2021.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.