About the Stop:
The Stop Community Food Centre is a leading-edge and nationally respected non-profit organization that has been providing innovative programs and advocacy to address problems of hunger and inequality for over 35 years (www.thestop.org). The Stop’s mission is to increase access to healthy food in a manner that maintains dignity, builds health and community and challenges inequality.
The Kitchen Assistant’s role is to support the Community Kitchens Coordinator in planning and facilitating community kitchen projects at the 1884 Davenport Rd., and Wychwood Open Door sites.
- Assist and support Community Kitchens Coordinator with preparation, delivery and facilitation of Community Kitchen programs, cooking classes, demonstrations and workshops
- Assist to build and develop tasty recipes for regular programs and special events
- Support during community kitchen program, setting stations, supporting cooking teams in the kitchen, serving food and cleanup
- Assist Community Kitchens Coordinator with ongoing kitchen maintenance, inventory, cleanup and sanitation
- Maintain updated Community Kitchen filing electronic and physical system (documents, photo albums, manual, guidelines, etc.)
- Assist with outreach and evaluations activities for community kitchens (ie. participant surveys)
- Provide support and assistance to community members within The Stop facilities and during programs
- Support volunteers. Relief workers, childcare providers and community members
- Other duties assigned, related to the position.
- Previous line cook experience in community centres, a casual dining environment, catering, or currently studying in a culinary education program
- Strong interpersonal skills, collaborative team player and ability to work independently
- Team oriented, friendly and outgoing
- Possess current food handler’s certificate. If not already certified, willing to undergo training for Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI), First Aid / CPR, and other training as required by the organization
- Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office (Excel, power point, outlook, publisher, word, access)
- Flexible schedule and availability to work evenings during business days
- Capacity to work in a self-directed manner and collaborate with others
- Must be a creative, energetic, flexible, self-motivated, and detail-oriented professional
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is an asset
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to social justice issues
- Commitment to work within an Anti-Oppression/Anti-Racism framework
Annual Salary, prorated to 22.5 hours per week: $25,120
Hours: 22.5 hours/week (3 days/week)
How to apply:
Please include a cover letter and resume to the attention of
The Hiring Committee
Applications must be received by Thursday January 23, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
The Stop Community Food Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. We regret that only those applicants being considered will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in The Stop. No faxes, emails or phone calls please.