CCNCTO is looking to fill one position in community organizing. The position will begin as soon as possible and end on March 31, 2023, with the possibility of an extension.
CCNCTO is an organization of Chinese Canadians in the City of Toronto that promotes equity, social justice, inclusive civic participation, and respect for diversity. Our current priorities are outreaching to the marginalized Chinese Canadian community, building up community capacity, creating intergenerational spaces, and continuing our advocacy work on anti-racism.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and qualified organizer with experience in outreach, base-building, leadership development and community organizing in the Chinese Canadian community. Ideal candidates will have access to vehicles, strong social skills, experience and understanding of labour and community organizing, the ability to work independently, a strong understanding of the Chinese immigrant community in the GTA, strong social ties to the Chinese immigrant community and an understanding of the anti-oppression framework.
The position will report to the Executive Director of CCNCTO and will have a full-time schedule (28-35 hours per week). The rate of pay is $25-$29 per hour, depending on the successful candidate’s qualification and experience.
- Conducting both physical and digital outreach to targeted groups in Scarborough, York Region, Downtown Toronto, and Mississauga
- Building one-on-one deep engagement relationships with diverse Chinese (im)migrant members to increase members' knowledge about social justice issues, and to increase their capacity in taking leadership roles in the organization’s decision-making process
- Leading or supporting current CCNCTO’s senior, worker, and youth programs and community research projects
- Coordinating and facilitating community meetings, workshops and events
- Representing CCNCTO in community partners’ meetings
- Recruiting, managing and training volunteers and students
- Creating community informational and educational resources
- Other duties as required
- Bilingual language skills in Mandarin, Cantonese and/or Fujianese are required
- Access to vehicle and ability to drive volunteers and members
- Minimum one year of experience in community outreach, base-building, member leadership development, organizing campaigns and project management in non-profit/community organizations
- Minimum one year of experience in working with volunteers and coordinating roles & responsibilities
- Minimum one year of experience in designing, leading, running workshops, and training for the community
- Strong working knowledge of issues impacting the working-class Chinese Canadian community and other racialized communities
- Familiarity with different digital tools, including Google Suite, Canva, Zoom, and Mailchimp
- Knowledge of Toronto-based organizations that support the Chinese Canadian community
- Ability to work effectively within tight deadlines and while balancing competing priorities
- Passion for community organizing and social justice
- Strong communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the current social justice movements and campaigns is a strong asset
- Knowledge of creating and managing social media content is a strong asset
How to apply:
Please email a cover letter and resume in one PDF/Word document with the title “[Your Name]’s Application for the Full-time position of Community Organizer”.
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm on April 17, 2022.
We thank all applicants but will be contacting only those who are selected for an interview. Interviews will occur on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.
For questions and concerns please email us at - email@example.com.