INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Position: Content Specialist
Term: Full Time - 35hrs/week - June 2021-March 2022
Reports to: Director, Refugee 613
Are you a skilled writer/designer with a love of digital communication? Are you outstanding at turning complicated information into clear, plain-language text and graphics that work on multiple platforms? Refugee 613 has an exciting opportunity for a content creator to help us meet the communications needs of diverse French-speaking audiences.
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
About Refugee 613
Refugee 613 is a communications organization created by a network of service providers, refugee sponsors and community volunteers. We provide our partners and the public with information, connection and inspiration to improve the welcome and integration of refugees and other newcomers. As part of our commitment to actively work to dismantle systemic racism, we strive to ensure equity and inclusion are embedded in all our internal practices and services. We highly value life experience, curiosity and creativity. Our small, energetic and diverse team works hard, laughs a lot and cares deeply about what we do.
Refugee 613 is looking for a talented communicator to join our Newcomer Info Hub project, a suite of digital services to help newcomers get the information they need to stay healthy and safe during COVID-19. This Content Specialist will lead our French-language content production, writing, editing and designing a wide variety of content to help bridge the gaps in information for newcomers.
• Write and edit digital content in French and English, including social media content, infographics, newsletters, web content and video scripts, in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines
• Design graphics for use on social media, websites, digital messaging platforms and in newsletters and presentations
• Collaborate with Refugee 613 team members to develop and implement content strategies for newcomer audiences
• Perform other related duties as may be assigned
• Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect approach.
• This position is based in Ottawa, with a combination of on-site and remote work locations.
• A post-secondary degree from a recognized university or a college diploma, or equivalent practical experience in a professional setting
• Excellent verbal and written French is required, along with strong proficiency in English
• Strong writing skills: you know how to create crisp, clear and lively content with excellent grammar, spelling and style, within tight deadlines
• Plain-language expertise: you know how to make complex topics easy to understand through clear writing and use of common vocabulary
• Strong design skills: you know how to create visually appealing graphics according to brand guidelines and with close attention to format requirements.
• Software skills: You can use the Adobe creative suite to design graphics and text in multiple languages, you are familiar with Microsoft Office and G-Suite tools. Video/audio editing technology is an asset.
• Experience with digital storytelling for diverse audiences: you have experience writing or producing content for newcomers
• Excellent strategic communications skills: you know how develop and implement strategies to meet audience needs on a variety of platforms
• Experience working with people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds
• Highly organized and self-motivated: you successfully manage your workload to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
• Ability to work with a small, passionate team in a sensitive, respectful manner
Salary range: $55,000 - $57,500 annually
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter of less than 250 words and a resume to Halimah Shaw, H.R. Coordinator: email@example.com fax (613) 288-2674, by 5 pm on May 20, 2021.
We will be assessing your cover letter and resume as example of your writing and design skills. Please use your cover letter to demonstrate exactly how you meet the specific qualifications listed above. Please do not simply summarize the work history listed in your resume.
Please ensure your application files are named as follows:
• A cover letter with the following file name: NAME_ContentSpecialist_CoverLetter
• A resume with the following file name: NAME_ContentSpecialist_Resume
If you would like clarification on any of the criteria, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line. Please keep your inquiries brief; this is not an invitation to expand on your application, nor is it an opportunity for a pre-interview.
We value diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, newcomers, Indigenous peoples, and persons with disabilities.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the HR Coordinator at 613-725-5671, ext. 398.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be conducted.