Settlement Assistance & Family Support Services requires a Crisis Counsellor.
- Direct service to newcomers experiencing crisis related to settlement
- Direct services to clients experiencing domestic violence, Gender Based Violence, sexual orientation and its impact on Mental wellness impeding settlement in Canada
- Engaging in supportive counselling through education and information sharing
- Contributing to SAFSS staff activities, including but not limited to team building, training and outreach
- Advocacy regarding client care
- Navigating interdisciplinary support systems
- Availability for some evenings as needed
- Undergraduate degree in social work or related field required, graduate degree preferred
- Ability to think creatively
- Understanding of mental health and health sector in Ontario
- Understanding of Gender Based Violence
- Flexibility and open mindedness
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse environment
- Knowledge about the settlement sector with a view of the larger landscape of settlement in Canada
- Experience working with diverse populations including but not limited to newcomers, language minorities, racial minorities, marginalized communities, LGBTQ, disabled and those without status
- Bilingual English/other language (additional preferred)
- Computer proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to work from a feminist /anti-oppressive perspective
This is a full-time contract (9-month) union position, based on a 35-hour week schedule from Monday to Friday.
How to apply:
Submit your resume & cover letter to:
Please note: In the cover letter, please include your understanding the relationship between mental health and immigration as well as your understanding of mental health recovery.
Settlement Assistance & Family Support Services is an equal opportunity employer and committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact the HR department at SAFSS.
Only applicants who will be interviewed are contacted.