Settlement Assistance and Family Support Services is a trusted not-for-profit social services agency that has been serving and advocating for newcomers, refugees and victims of all types of violence since 1989. The need to address Violence against Women was the seed of the organization's establishment. However, while the organization was initially founded to support women and children who were victims of domestic violence, it has since evolved and expanded its services to support other identified needs. Our trained staff provide a range of services to a diverse, multi-cultural and multi-lingual community in a responsible and professional manner in a safe non- judgmental and confidential environment that fosters trust, respect and collaboration.
• Direct service to newcomers experiencing crisis related to settlement
• Direct services to clients experiencing domestic violence, Gender based Violence, sexual orientation and its impact on Mental wellness impeding settlement in Canada
• Engaging in supportive counselling through education and information sharing
• Contributing to SAFSS staff activities, including but not limited to team building, training and outreach
• Advocacy regarding client care
• Navigating interdisciplinary support systems
• Availability for some evenings as needed
• Bachelor of social work (BSW) required or Master of Social Work (MSW) preferred
• Ability to think creatively
• Understanding of mental health and health sector in Ontario
• Understanding of Gender Based Violence
• Flexibility and open mindedness
• Ability to work effectively in a diverse environment.
• Knowledge about the settlement sector with a view of the larger landscape of settlement in Canada.
• Experience working with diverse populations including but not limited to newcomers, language minorities, racial minorities, marginalized communities, LGBTQ, disabled and those without status.
• Bilingual English/other language (additional preferred)
• Computer proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite.
• Willingness to work from a feminist /anti-oppressive perspective
Reports to: Executive Director (ED)
This is a full-time unionized position, based on a 35-hour week schedule from Monday to Friday.
Submit your resume & cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the cover letter, please include your understanding the relationship between mental health and immigration as well as your understanding of mental health recovery.
Settlement Assistance & Family Support Services is an equal opportunity employer and committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To request accommodation, please contact the HR department at SAFSS. Only applicants who will be interviewed are contacted.