The Peel Multicultural Council (PMC) is a non-profit, charitable umbrella organization founded in 1977 to address social, linguistic, racial and cultural needs of the rapidly diversifying population of Peel. Its vision is to promote a harmonious multicultural society and its mission is to be committed to lead and empower communities through education and providing the necessary tools for creating a healthy and integrated society. Digital Literacy Instructors are part of the adult education services at PMC.
An essential component of this service is to integrate the digital literacy into curriculum and instruction. Whether the client from the identified under-represented groups is entirely new to computer or have some experience, this curriculum will help him/her to develop a fundamental understanding of computer. The Digital Literacy Training Instructor teaches digital tools such as computer, Internet, smart phones, and social media applications, and helps clients develop the essential skills they need to use digital technologies with confidence.
The Digital Literacy Instructor position may include, but is not limited to, the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Collaborate with other instructors and coordinators to develop daily technology lesson plans.
- Follow the Technology Standards & Curriculum to ensure coursework supports acquisition of basic skills such as typing and mouse skills, utilizing diverse technology platforms including computers, tablets, and educational software.
- Digital literacy classes must cover introductory use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint), Windows, Google Apps, Internet, and E-mail.
- Incorporate a variety of technologies into instruction including technologies used in work settings, such as photocopiers, scanners, and fax machines; and technologies used in personal settings such as tablets, cell phone/telephone applications (e.g. voicemail,texting, camera, and videos), and digital/video cameras.
- Design authentic learning experiences that develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to be effective in the digital economy.
- Teach digital literacy and practical technology classes.
- Provide quality instruction that fosters an academic learning climate, actively supports teaching and learning, and implements the technology standards & curriculum.
- Maintain the computer teaching room/labs and an inventory of information and technology equipment (hardware and software) in partnership with the IT Coordinator.
Learner Support & Other Duties:
- Refer Learners to Settlement Services as needed.
- Assist with Learner recruitment, Learner registrations, and special events such as graduation and other school-based celebrations.
- Participate in all required staff meetings, trainings, and retreats.
Education and Experience:
Digital Literacy Instructors must have the following knowledge, skills and/or abilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A College degree/diploma in computer science/Information Technology related fields or three-year adult digital literacy teaching experience
- Teaching experience with low-literacy adult language learners preferred.
- Excellent communication skills in English required.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of language other than English, such as French, Punjabi, Urdu, Hindi, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, Tagalog Amharic, etc.
- Own transportation, valid driver’s license and insurance
- Flexibility of time; ability to work on weekends and evenings;
How to apply:
Please respond in writing with current resume and cover letter by January 15, 2019 to:
Peel Multicultural Council
6630 Turner Valley Road
Mississauga, ON, L5N 2P1
Fax #: 905-542-3950
Note: Due to the anticipated high volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. In the spirit of the Human Rights Code, we ask that resumes not include personal data such as age, health, marital and family status, place of origin, and gender. PMC is an equal opportunity employer.