The National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM) has a new opportunity for a highly-motivated individual to join our professional staff and work on cutting-edge issues impacting Canadian Muslim communities.
NCCM is currently hiring for a Director of Legal Affairs.
At the centre of our vibrant and dynamic communities, NCCM is a national, independent, non-partisan and non-profit advocacy organization at the forefront of defending, promoting and protecting the fundamental rights and public interests of Canadian Muslims.
- The Director of Legal Affairs will litigate cases in federal, superior, and provincial courts, at both the trial and appellate level. The Director of Legal Affairs will also appear before tribunals and commissions as needed. The Director of Legal Affairs may engage in advocacy before parliamentary committees. The focus of the position may change as warranted by changes in the law, the priorities of the Executive Director, and the needs of the organization.
- Assist on human rights cases, triage, and develop strategies for litigating and/or assisting our clients, in conjunction with the Human Rights Officer.
- Research and write reports, briefs and presentations.
- Coordinate with and report to the NCCM’s national office.
- Build a network of pro-bono students across Canada to assist in case management throughout the year.
- Membership in a Law Society
- Minimum 2 year call
- Strong research experience
- Management experience ideal
- Bilingualism preferred but not required
- Solid understanding of the NCCM’s mission and mandate as well as public policy and legal analysis. Previous public advocacy experience is preferred
- Ability to work under tight timelines in an efficient and focused manner
- Detail-oriented and strong written & oral communication abilities
- Good presentation and organizing skills
Expected hours of work: Full-time
Start date: Immediate
Compensation: Commensurate with experience & qualifications
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter with the subject line: Director of Legal Affairs to:
Application deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is found.
Thank you to all those who respond to this posting. Only those selected for further screening will be contacted. No telephone call inquiries.