This is a Union contract position scheduled to work 35 hours per week. The current incumbent is on secondment.
• Conducts an initial assessment for clients to determine eligibility for Pathways for Early Childhood Education (ECE) for International Trained Individuals Program
• Coaches and provides ongoing employment counselling services to clients
• Records services provided in various databases including COSTI internal systems
• Delivers job search strategies workshop sessions including, industry-specific resume development, self-marketing, effective interview skills and phone calling techniques, among other job search techniques.
• Assists clients with resume development, cover letters, employment solicitation, follow-up and thank you letters, critiques and provides feedback,
• Assists clients in developing action plans towards career goals, employment and credential recognition
• Develops job placement, internship and mentoring opportunities for clients
• Liaises with other COSTI Employment Consultants for client cross-referrals
• Maintains an up-to-date material in Resource & Information (R&I) area for ITI professionals including flyers, books, job search materials, relevant to career planning and development, job search strategies, employment opportunities and pathways to credential recognition.
• Creates and revamps employment and pre-employment workshop materials and maintains an up-to-date e-copy and hard copy.
• Conducts outreach to employers to place participants in internships and employment
• Organizes and arranges virtual and in-person workshops, information sessions, job fairs, special events and activities for the program
• Works closely with regulatory bodies and professional associations to assist clients in pursuing the pathways to their credential recognition in Canada
• Liaises with and makes presentations to other community organizations, ethno-specific agencies, training institutions, etc. to increase awareness of the programs and services
• Compiles statistics both electronically and in hardcopy using designated forms and procedures
• Maintains complete electronic case notes and service entries throughout the client relationship and compiles written and statistical reports as needed.
• Maintains a schedule for follow-up with clients at 3 and 6 months to track outcomes and credential recognition progress.
• Social Services Worker diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience in an employment program.
• Minimum one (1) year of full-time employment counselling, facilitation and job placement experience Demonstrated experience delivering virtual services using Zoom and other social media applications
• Extensive knowledge of career assessments and job search techniques
• Knowledge of newcomers and barriers to employment
• Knowledge and familiarity with Professional and Regulatory bodies
• Knowledge of the current labour market and industry trends.
• Experience in developing job search workshop materials
• Experience in developing placements for a variety of professions/occupations.
• Excellent knowledge of community agencies and resources.
• High organizational skills with ability to work in a team.
• Knowledge of current computer packages: Word, Email, Internet.
• The ability to speak another language would be an asset
• Must be willing to work at various locations throughout York Region.
• Required to travel to sites throughout the GTA and access to a reliable vehicle is necessary.
• Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters,
quoting reference 86-23 to: