Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization - OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
In partnership with Landscape Ontario Horticultural Trades Association (LOHTA) and other service providers, OCISO’s Community Economic Development Program will develop and deliver mentorship supports, applying a multicultural immigrant women’s lens to support Visible Minority Newcomer Women (VMNW) to enter and/or advance within the Horticultural sector. As a member of the dynamic and growing Community Economic Development team, the incumbent will deliver mentorship supports to VMNW pre-employment and within the workplace.
Reports to: Manager, Community Economic Development (CED)
- Employment Counselling; conduct client intake and assessments; assess client’s employment readiness, and define short/long term career goals
- Deliver orientation sessions to clients and Mentors
- Identify mentor/mentee matches and conduct introduction sessions, providing ongoing support of mentor/mentee match pre and post work placement
- Provide referrals to other programs/services as needed
- Maintain mentor/mentee database for the purpose of detailed activity/outcome tracking
- Establishes and facilitates volunteer Mentor outreach and retention strategies
- Engages volunteer mentors (Ottawa professionals) via social media, community engagement and events to participate within CED programming
- Consult with employers on induction/retention specific to their organization and establish client employment maintenance and development plans for employees to build workplace competencies
- Participate on internal committees and working groups as required
- Ensure high standards of service delivery within an anti-racism and anti-oppression policy framework
- Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect management approach and anti-racism/anti oppression policy within the work environment and in the community
- University degree or college diploma in Human Resources, Career Coaching, Women’s studies, or a related field
- 3+ years of experience in one or more of the following areas; employment supports, human resources, career coaching/counselling, labour market integration
- Knowledge of the labour market trends and challenges faced by Visible Minority Newcomer Women to Canada
- Knowledge of trades, Landscape and Horticultural Industry desirable for not essential
- Excellent organizational, coordination and presentation skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal and cross cultural communication skills
- Proficiency with current computer applications including the MS Office Suite, internet based productivity tools and databases
- Fluency in English essential, French other languages desirable
- Proven ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team environment
Term: Part-time – 28 hours per week (October 2019 – March 2020)
Benefits & Salary: $45,500 - $47,000 annually (prorated for part time). Comprehensive benefits plan included.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and a resume by October 10, 2019 before 5:00 p.m. to:
Halimah Shaw, H.R. Administrator
by fax: 613-288-2674
OCISO encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the H.R. Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
Thank you in advance for your interest. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.