With 37 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA, over 70 full-time and part-time staff and serve 14,000 clients annually.
Program Nature and Scope:
To support newcomers in their path leading to employment, this also includes specialized delivery for newcomer women and youth. The incumbent will deliver employment preparation workshops that enhance the participant’s employability skills. Delivery of the workshops will be a combination of online and classroom training. This position will also coach participants with career exploration and enhancing their workplace communication skills and awareness of workplace culture leading to possible connection with employers and job leads.
- Design and deliver employment preparation workshop on SfC’s online learning management platform and in-class to newcomer clients
- Design and conduct ongoing evaluation and review of workshop material for online and in-class sessions to ensure the curriculum is current with LMI
- Create, update and maintain online learning management platform resources
- Design and implement innovative program elements including workshops on communication, workplace expectations and inter-cultural workplace issues for participants
- Develop and deliver itinerant service plans to community agencies
- Create opportunities for participants to practice their professional communication skills in a variety of “authentic” contexts, e.g., making presentations, role plays, videos, developing a portfolio, using the telephone, resolving conflict, dealing with cross-cultural differences
- Develop and implement full outreach strategy to generate newcomer clients for the program
- Provide individual counselling, career management and job search support (online and/or in person) to clients including cold calling, networking, resume preparation and interview skills enhancement.
- Maintain client case management files, follow up and update information, update client information on Salesforce, and/or google docs, CLARs/HARTs and iCARE and submit monthly reports. Follow up with clients at regular intervals as mandated or required.
- Build employer partnerships and establish suitable job leads, e.g. connecting to Employment Ontario
Provide one on one counselling support (online and/or in person) and assist in developing viable employment action plans
- Liaise with other SfC program staff on an ongoing basis to provide support and monitor client progress and post service follow up as well as assist with outreach, client assessment and intake
- Research and update existing labour market information and community resources and other program support information on a regular basis
- Build and maintain partnerships with community agencies and other stakeholders and leverage government and community resources to support clients
- Network with community agencies and perform community outreach visits to promote and raise profile of Skills for Change and to promote SfC programs
- Contribute to program and agency promotional activities as needed including refresher sessions, networking events and workshops
- Assist in the evaluation of services and present solutions to enhance service delivery
- Work as part of the IRCC team to ensure smooth delivery and coordination of service to clients
- Execute other duties and tasks as required by the Supervisor and Senior Manager of Programs and Services
- Participate in all meetings and Agency events as required
- University degree or college diploma (or equivalent) in education, business or other related field is required
- Require a minimum of 2 years experience developing and delivering online and in-class learning and training programs
- TESL Certification is an asset
- At least 3-5 years experience in program outreach and client intake and assessment
- A minimum of 3 years work experience in employment counselling and group facilitation
- Knowledge of adult learning principles and techniques
- Formal Teaching/Instructor experience considered an asset
- Solid knowledge of school programs, community resources, and services in the Greater Toronto Area
- Demonstrated ability in developing goals and action plans with participants
- Excellent facilitation and employment counselling skills
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills
- Proficiency in MS Office, ability to deliver power point presentations
- Proficiency in CLARs/HARTs and iCARE would be an asset
- Strong interpersonal and client service skills as well as a positive attitude towards change
- Initiative and persistence to complete tasks as well as excellent time management and teamwork skills
- Problem solving skills and resourcefulness in meeting clients’ employment support needs
- Experience working with youth, sensitivity and knowledge in dealing with youth from different cultural and racial backgrounds and youth with special needs
- Sensitivity to and understanding of issues of concern to immigrants and refugees
- Ability to secure a Police Vulnerable Sector Check is mandatory and must be provided prior to starting employment.
Reports to: Manager, Programs and Services
Contract type: Contract (Union)
Hours: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday)
Salary: $24.39 per hour
Start date: Immediately
End date: December 11, 2020
Location: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto, Ontario M6C 1B7
How to apply:
Please send your application by August 4, 2020 to:
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.