Our vision: communities where all children, youth, adults and families experience mental wellness, financial stability, and a safe place to live.
To better serve the diverse needs of our community, Lutherwood is committed to creating an anti-racist, anti-oppressive environment where leaders, staff, clients, residents, and community members are represented across the agency. Representation, celebration and allyship for all ethnicities, races, sexual/gender identities, cultural backgrounds, abilities, and beliefs, are valued at Lutherwood.
There is one full-time permanent Employment Specialist position available starting September 2022 working 37.5 hours per week. Fluency in Tigrigna, Arabic, or Dari would be considered an asset for this role.
- Assesses individuals to determine their employment barriers, strengths and interests.
- Assists clients in exploring employment and career options, develops employment action plans, and assists clients to secure and maintain employment and/or pursue education or vocational training.
- Works as part of the wider employment services team to identify job leads and support sustainable, meaningful employment options for clients.
- Prospects and recruits employers and employment opportunities, matching clients with appropriate employers.
- Promotes clients to the employer community, identifying job leads and tapping into the hidden job market.
- Provides individualized coaching to clients to support on-the-job learning and job retention.
- Supports clients to maintain positive employment relationships.
- Manages individual allocation of participant supports and monitors employer incentive expenditures.
- Coordinates case management functions to ensure the client’s successful transition into the labour market.
- Facilitates job search and employment preparation workshops as required.
- Degree or diploma in social sciences, business or education, and minimum of 1 year related experience in employment counselling or employment placement.
- Holds or is working towards a Career Development Practitioner designation, or equivalent.
- Strong commitment to customer service is essential; previous experience working in a community based, not-for-profit environment advantageous.
- Required to perform well in a fast paced, ever evolving and results oriented environment.
- Strong communication, customer service and organizational skills are essential.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and Employment Standards Act an asset.
- Must have the ability and confidence to generate new and maintain existing, business contacts.
- Outside sales, marketing, and cold calling experience is an asset.
- An understanding of occupational health and safety legislation is an asset.
- Some evening work will be required. Weekend work may be required.
- Working knowledge of MS Office and various social media platforms.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation are essential for this position.
- Rate of Pay: At Lutherwood all salaries are categorized under a series of "bands" determined during our job evaluation process. When determining rate of pay for external hires, a candidates past related experience will be taken into consideration along with where others with similar experience currently fall within the band. Note: most new team members will start between the starting salary and the mid-point of the range.
- Job Band G (hourly wages): Min - $25.59, Mid - $27.71, Max - $31.28
- Eligible for Lutherwood's Benefits plan after 3 months of employment
- Elibigle for Lutherwood's Pension plan after 6 months of employment
- Voluntary Group RRSP and TFSA options available
- 3 weeks of paid vacation (accumulated bi-weekly) + 15 hours of personal time per year
- Paid sick-time (accumulated monthly) to a maximum of 300 hours
- Access to our Employee and Family Assistance Program (no cost)
- Discounted GRT passes through membership with TravelWise
How to apply:
Please submit resume, in confidence, no later than 4 pm on September 12, 2022 to:
141 Father David Bauer Drive
Waterloo, ON N2L 6N9
(Include job title in subject line)
Lutherwood requires all employees to obtain a Police Vulnerable Sector Check prior to commencing employment. We require certain positions to obtain a Medical Certification.
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our clients, staff and community from COVID-19, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, Lutherwood requires new employees to provide proof of full COVID-19 Vaccination approved by Health Canada.
If you require accommodation for submitting your application, please contact the Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 519-707-1958 ext. 1190.