Settlement Assistance and Family Support Services is a trusted not-for-profit social services agency that has been serving and advocating for newcomers, refugees and victims of all types of violence since 1989. The need to address Violence against Women was the seed of the organization's establishment. However, while the organization was initially founded to support women and children who were victims of domestic violence, it has since evolved and expanded its services to support other identified needs. Our trained staff provide a range of services to a diverse, multi-cultural and multi-lingual community in a responsible and professional manner in a safe non- judgmental and confidential environment that fosters trust, respect and collaboration.
• Develop curriculum for the conversation classes
• Design, implement and instruct conversation classes:
• Picking a topic in casual & formal conversation
• Selecting vocabulary appropriate to the topic
• Practicing the vocabulary in different contexts
• Giving appropriate feedback responses
• Taking turns at appropriate points in the conversation
• Asking for clarification and repetition
• Providing relevant evaluative comments through back-channeling
• Using discourse strategies for repairing misunderstanding
• Using discourse strategies to open and close conversations
• Using appropriate intonation and stress patterns to express meaning intelligibly
• Assigning classwork & homework to enhance learning.
• Outreach and coordinate with the Program Manager and others to maintain the expected attendance ratio to meet the funding requirements
• Assist learners with enrolment and maintaining related documents
• Assist in program related activities and tasks
• Submit required program reports and attendance as required
• Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers Certificate
• Bachelor’s Degree in “Teaching English as a Foreign Language”
• Canadian equivalence evaluated by WES.
• Experience teaching English at different levels, including English Conversation Classes to immigrants and refugees and foreigners
• Proficient in the use of technology and computer applications is required
Reports to: Manager, Family, Health & Volunteer Development
This is a part-time position, based on a 5-hour week schedule one day a week (flexible days from Monday to Friday).
Submit your resume & cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Settlement Assistance & Family Support Services is an equal opportunity employer and committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To request accommodation, please contact the HR department at SAFSS.
Only applicants who will be interviewed are contacted.