Reporting to the coordinator, the Language Assessor administers a variety of Canadian Language Benchmark-based language assessment tools to clients and refers them to language training options that meet their needs and preferences in the local community within the region of service.
Assessment and Referral
- Support the language assessment and referral services model and ensure maintenance of the operating standards and protocols at all locations
- Screen clients for eligibility for language training programs based on immigration status, age and learning history
- Administer full CLB standardized tests to assess the language skills of eligible clients
- Provide thorough needs assessments of clients applying for language classes
- Ensure clients are advised on all appropriate language training options that meet their needs, goals and preferences
- Provide referrals/ placement of clients to appropriate programs through established procedures using the HARTs database and CLARS protocols
- Inform clients of the need to collect data for statistical and program planning purposes while ensuring that client privacy is protected under the conditions of the Privacy Act.
- Respond to client inquiries by phone and in person regarding training programs and offer orientation assistance
- Provide information regarding training programs to clients whose needs and goals have changed
- Ensure a consistent, warm and welcoming approach to the reception of all clients onsite and at itinerant locations
- Report sensitive situations and issues to coordinator/manager in a timely manner, providing unbiased, detailed background to inform positive consultation
Support/Client File Maintenance/Reports
- Ensure accuracy of data input according to funders’ requirements
- Liaise with training providers, co-workers and manager regarding general inquiries and client placement
- Act as a resource for information regarding training programs available within the area by collecting and collating resources available from settlement and training organizations
- Undertake other duties as assigned by coordinator
- CLBA and/or CLBPT trained and certified; or conditional offer of employment contingent upon successful completion of CLBA training (to be arranged for eligible interview candidates)
- Training and/or certification in the CLBPT, CLBLA, CLB-LPT, ELTPA and/or WLA is an asset
- TESL ON Language instructor accreditation is required (preferably with adult ESL teaching experience)
- Demonstrated knowledge of the process of second language acquisition
- Demonstrated assessment/interviewing experience in the Adult Education field
- Knowledge of the various training programs for newcomers and other clients that are available in the region and a clear understanding of the eligibility requirements for acceptance into these programs
- Sensitivity to the diverse needs of adult learners and the multicultural community
- Strong interpersonal, problem solving and organizational skills
- Languages in addition to English are an asset
- Excellent communication skills in oral and written English
- Computer literate with proficiency in MS Outlook, MS Office and databases such as HARTs
- Must have a car and valid driver’s license and be willing to travel to designated sites throughout Peel and Halton region as needed
- Must be willing to work flexible shifts, including some evenings and weekends as required
- Provision of a Criminal Record Check - is required
Schedule: Varies. days, evenings, Saturdays.
How to apply:
Please submit your covering letter and resume to Human Resource Department via Career section of TCET’s website :
Make sure to allow pop-ups.
The Centre for Education & Training (TCET) is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, TCET will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring supervisor upon scheduling your interview.
Thank you in advance for your interest. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.