Hostel Services program provides short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations experiencing homelessness including but not limited to vulnerable populations, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence and singles. COSTI’s shelters provide clients with a pet friendly dwelling.
This is a full time Union position scheduled to work 35 hours per week**
• Provides initial intake and needs assessments for newly arrived families/ individuals.
• Provides supportive counselling, crises intervention and initial settlement services as well as follow-up services in special needs cases.
• Works one on one with clients to develop a case plan and connect them to supports and services in the community.
• Provides information and referral for income, employment and health settlement services.
• Delivers orientation sessions on hostel rules, and settlement related topics.
• Advocates and case consults with other social service organizations and service providers.
• Provides crisis intervention and counselling e.g. in cases of conflict,
• Documents services and activities in COSTI’s data base system and prepare necessary reports.
• Refers clients to community & social service agencies for additional settlement services support
• Social Services Worker diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
• Minimum of twelve (12) months experience providing initial settlement, case management and counselling for newcomers
o Identifying settlement needs through initial assessments and basic mental health assessments;
o Referrals to programs and education within COSTI and other social service organizations, such as language training, income support, health supports, etc.;
o Emotional supportive counselling.
o Experience in crises intervention and de-escalation skills
• Priority consideration will be given to those that speak a second language
• Demonstrated experience providing services in the following areas; wife and child abuse, resettlement and victims of torture, war and displacement.
• Previous case management experience.
• Knowledge of specific issues facing homeless population and resettled refugees in general.
• Ability to negotiate and advocate with mainstream society and able to intervene during crisis.
• Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
• Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
• Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
• Possession of a valid First Aid/CPR training certificate.
• Possession of a valid Naloxone training certificate
• Must have a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS). The VSS must have been completed within the past 6 months.
• Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
**Hours of work shall be scheduled in accordance with Article 12.01and shall consist of five (5) seven (7) hour days, Monday to Friday.
LOCATION: HWY 401 and Dixon Rd
DURATION: April 10, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $50, 778 - $54, 652 per annum + benefits
POSTING DATE: March 17, 2023
CLOSING DATE: March 30, 2023
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file quoting reference #78-23 to the below link: