North York Community House is a dynamic neighbourhood centre that has been working with residents of northwest Toronto for almost 30 years. We are committed to building strong, vibrant communities, and supporting local residents, new Canadians, parents and children, youth and seniors to meet and achieve their goals. NYCH believes that all the community members we serve have the strength and ability to succeed – our role is to help them get there.
The After-School Support Facilitator provides planning and program support for the Get Moving! Program for children ages 6 to 12 years old with a focus on healthy active living. This program aims to improve health issues of newcomer children and youth by focusing on physical activity, health eating and wellness education. In addition, homework assistance, excursions and arts-based activities are planned for its participants. As we evolve and support our communities during the Covid-19 pandemic, we are currently offering programs online with a blended approach to in-person program delivery.
Reports to: After School Program Coordinator
- Assist lead staff to plan, develop and ensure activities are carried out that are culturally sensitive and appropriate for the physical, intellectual, and social development for children (ages 6- 12)
- Assist lead staff in planning and supervision of field trips/outings
- Attend to the physical and emotional needs of each participant
- Supervise participants at all times, and respond to emergency situations quickly and appropriately
- Work with other agency staff and community partners in implementing program activities and events
- Liaise with parents around program information, and respond to any questions or concerns
- Ensure awareness and understanding of program schedule, plans and requirements
- Program/activity preparation, purchase program supplies, set up and clean up
- Support in the preparation and serving of nutritional snacks to children
- Assist with program outreach activities
- Participate in NYCH trainings and meetings as required
- Additional support and duties as required
- Completion of, or working towards, post-secondary education in health, education, psychology, social work or related field and/or comparable work experience
- Current CPR and First Aid certification
Experience and Skills
- Must be available to work on weekdays between the hours of 1:30 pm to 6.00 pm
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience in facilitating programs for school aged children including
- omponents of providing homework help, creative arts and sports/physical activities
- Experience working with children and families from diverse cultures within an anti-discriminatory framework
- Passionate, energetic and committed to the healthy development of children
- Highly motivated, positive attitude and ability to work well in a team
- Responsible, dependable and punctual, with ability to communicate timely with staff/supervisor
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Good problem solving/conflict resolution skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (a second language is an asset)
- An updated police reference check will be required upon employment
Start and end dates: September 8, 2020 - June 18, 2021
Hours: 15 hours per week, three days a week
Location: Works remotely from home, and on site. May work in a blended model with some activities taking place in person from Flemington Public School (10 Flemington Rd, North York, ON M6A 2N4) and other activities on line.
How to apply:
Please submit cover letter and resume by Friday, August 14, 2020 before 5:00 pm to:
Get Moving! After-School Program Lead Facilitator - Hiring Committee
North York Community House
Situated on the traditional territory of the Haudenosaunee, Wendat and Anishinaabe, NYCH is committed to equity and creating a respectful and inclusive work place culture that reflects the broad diversity of communities we work with. This includes immigrants, refugees, women, Indigenous and black people, people of colour, people with disabilities, and those who are LGBTQ2S+.
NYCH is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace, and will provide accommodation as required throughout the interview and employment process. If you require accommodation, please let us know in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs.