The Stop began over 30 years ago as one of North America’s first food banks, and has grown into a vibrant community centre, using food as a gateway to addressing many issues, including poverty, the environment, social isolation, and health in one of Toronto’s lowest-income neighbourhoods. The Stop’s mission is to increase access to healthy food in a manner that maintains dignity, builds community and challenges inequality.
- Facilitate and support volunteers in gardening tasks during greenhouse volunteer shifts in the greenhouse and sheltered garden
- Support facilitation of Global Roots, a gardening program (late April – late Oct) in partnership with Culture Link, involving 40+ seniors and youth participants
- Assist with staffing and animating drop-in times in the Greenhouse throughout the week and on Saturdays during the Stop’s Farmers Market
- Assist with bi-weekly food order and snack preparation for Programs, Drop-ins, Volunteer shifts
- Conduct garden & greenhouse tours for visitors (individuals and groups)
- Perform greenhouse/garden maintenance as needed (e.g., watering, pest control, maintaining sanitary conditions, seedling care, seeding, harvesting etc.)
- Maintain compost systems – indoor worm composting and outdoor composting, and promote community involvement in Green Barn composting
- Ensure program spaces are kept clean and organized after use
Greenhouse & Garden Maintenance:
Planning & Outreach:
- Provide input to Greenhouse and garden planning (e.g., crop plans and other projects)
- Assist with coordination of seedling giveaway preparations (e.g., contacting community gardens), in addition to seedling production and distribution days
- Assist with planning and implementation of Greenhouse programs
- Support outreach and promotion of Greenhouse programs and workshops
- Assist program coordinators in implementing all relevant Stop policies and procedures
- Maintain constructive communication with other staff at The Stop
- Represent The Stop constructively when engaging with the public
- Help maintain expense records, program logs and other administrative records as required
- Meet with supervisor on a regular basis
- Attend staff meetings regularly
- Participate in broader planning and team building activities at the agency
- Other duties as assigned
- The ideal candidate for this position will have experience growing plants within a variety of spaces such as community gardens, commercial, industrial, and retail greenhouses.
- The Green House Worker will report and be under the direct supervision of the Urban Agriculture Coordinator
Salary Range: $21.47 per hour
Regular Hours: 15 hours/week
Length of Contract: One year from start date with the possibility of extension
How to apply:
Please email a cover letter and resume by 5:00 p.m. Friday, January 24, 2020 to:
The Stop is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from equity-seeking groups.
Thank you to all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. No phone calls please.