COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement, employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI, please visit our website at www.costi.org.
Shelter Services provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations experiencing homelessness including but not limited to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence and singles
This is a non-union contract position scheduled to work 35 hours per week
- Conducts housing search in and outside of Toronto for individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
- If needed escorts clients to housing appointments and advocates on their behalf.
- Secures appropriate and affordable housing for clients within a prescribed timeframe
- Provides support to clients in negotiating and finalizing housing leases
- Recruits housing providers and maintains a housing data bank/registry of housing providers.
- Provides crisis support and intervention as required.
- Mentoring volunteers to assist with housing search and escorting of clients.
- Maintains program and statistical information in COSTI’s database and prepares reports.
- Conducts housing orientation sessions to ensure that client understands rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords.
- Liaises and consults with other professionals and organizations.
- Refers clients to community & social service agencies for additional support
- Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience
- Minimum of one (1) year experience providing housing services within a Shelter setting
- Demonstrated experience providing services to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence, people with mental health and or addiction
- Ability to speak a second language will be considered an asset
- Previous case management experience
- Knowledge of specific issues facing homeless and refugee populations and knowledge of the Toronto shelter system
- Knowledge of settlement and housing related services and resources, with an emphasis on the services and resources that exist within the Greater Toronto Area
- Experience assisting clients accessing Toronto Housing Allowance Program, Furniture Bank, and Subsidized housing
- Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting
- Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills
- Possession of a valid First Aid/CPR training certificate is required
- Possession of a valid Naloxone training certificate is required
- Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the last 6 months
- Must be able to travel within the GTA to multiple locations using public transportation. Access to a vehicle is considered an asset.
Duration: November 2, 2020 – Dec 31st, 2020
Starting salary: $25.48 to $27.42 per hour
Location: Hwy 401 and Wilson
How to apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters, quoting reference #56-20 by October 30, 2020 to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6E 3P2
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.