COSTI REQUIRES A HOUSING COUNSELLOR FOR ITS SHELTER SERVICES
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement, employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI, please visit our website at www.costi.org.
Shelter Services provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations experiencing homelessness including but not limited to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence and singles. COSTI’s shelters provide pet friendly dwelling to its residents.
This is a fulltime union position scheduled to work 35 hours per week**
• Conducts housing search in and outside of Toronto for individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
• If needed escorts clients to housing appointments and advocates on their behalf.
• Secures appropriate and affordable housing for clients within a prescribed timeframe.
• Provides support to clients in negotiating and finalizing housing leases.
• Recruits housing providers and maintains a housing data bank/registry of housing providers.
• Provides crisis support and intervention as required.
• Mentoring volunteers to assist with housing search and escorting of clients.
• Maintains program and statistical information in COSTI’s database and prepares reports.
• Conducts housing orientation sessions to ensure that client understands rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords.
• Liaises and consults with other professionals and organizations.
• Refers clients to community & social service agencies for additional support.
• Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
• Minimum of one (1) year experience providing housing services within a Shelter setting.
• Demonstrated experience providing services to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence, people with mental health and or addiction.
• Ability to speak a second language will be considered an asset.
• Previous case management experience.
• Knowledge of specific issues facing homeless and refugee populations and knowledge of the Toronto shelter system.
• Knowledge of settlement and housing related services and resources, with an emphasis on the services and resources that exist within the Greater Toronto Area.
• Experience assisting clients accessing Toronto Housing Allowance Program, Furniture Bank, and Subsidized housing.
• Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
• Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
• Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
• Possession of a valid First Aid/CPR training certificate is required.
• Possession of a valid Naloxone training certificate is required.
• Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the last 6 months.
• Must be able to travel within the GTA to multiple locations using public transportation. Access to a vehicle is considered an asset.
**Hours of work shall be scheduled in accordance with Article 12.01and shall consist of five (5) seven (7) hour days, Monday to Friday.
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file, by clicking on the below link.