DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conducts housing search in and outside of Toronto for newcomer individuals and families.
• If needed escorts clients to housing appointments and advocates on their behalf.
• Secures appropriate and affordable housing for clients.
• Provides support to clients in negotiating and finalizing housing leases.
• Recruits housing providers and maintains a housing data bank/registry of housing providers.
• Provides crisis support and intervention as required.
• Mentoring volunteers to assist with housing search and escorting of clients.
• Maintains program and statistical information in COSTI’s database and prepares reports.
• Conducts housing orientation sessions to ensure that client understands rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords.
• Liaises and consults with other professionals and organizations.
• Refers clients to community & social service agencies for additional support
• Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
• Minimum of one (1) year experience providing housing services to refugees or newcomers.
• Demonstrated experience providing services to families, refugees, Or newcomers.
• Ability to speak a second language is an asset.
• Previous case management experience.
• Knowledge of specific issues facing people fleeing war
• Knowledge of settlement and housing related services and resources, with an emphasis on the services and resources that exist within the Greater Toronto Area.
• Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
• Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
• Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
• Possession of a valid First Aid/CPR training certificate is required.
• Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the last 6 months.
• Must be able to travel within the GTA to multiple locations using public transportation. Access to a vehicle is considered an asset.
• Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file quoting reference #21-24 to the below link: https://creg.costi.ca/ui/hr/resume.aspx?refno=21-24