At Achev, we believe that everyone deserves an equal opportunity to build a better life and a successful future. For more than 30 years, we have dedicated ourselves to helping diverse Canadians and newcomers achieve their full potential. Today, we are one of the largest providers of employment, newcomer, language, and youth services in the Greater Toronto Area. Our dedicated team of nearly 400 staff delivers a wide range of innovative, high-quality, and personalized programs and services that empower our clients to prosper and our communities to thrive.
We thrive in a OneAchev culture where collaboration and an integrated service delivery will positively impact Achev’s resiliency, agility, success, and growth.
Join us in helping diverse Canadians and newcomers achieve their full potential!
Achev’s latest Impact Report: www.achev.ca
LINC Home Study is a self-paced distance language training program for immigrants to Canada who are unable to attend classes in person. Eligible immigrants enrol in the program to obtain/improve the English language skills required to function in Canadian society. Instructors deliver weekly instructional sessions by phone or VOIP, as well as monitor and facilitate students’ independent study. Instructors work remotely from home.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Manage 8 to 20 students based on program need and Supervisor’s discretion, on a continuous intake basis for those with Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) skills 2-8
• Provide weekly, one-on-one instruction by phone or video conferencing for assigned students according to mutually agreed time and schedule
• Record details of weekly student calls in the Learning Management System (LMS)
• Conduct an initial needs assessment and develop a learning plan for each new student within 2 weeks of first contact
• Regularly assign homework and provide meaningful and constructive performance feedback to students on a weekly basis
• Develop/adapt and deliver CLB-based learning activities that augment the core curriculum to support student learning goals as needed
• Conduct initial and ongoing needs assessment and assessment of progress towards learning outcomes for each student
• Complete quarterly reports of student progress in the LMS • Create and maintain student portfolios
• Attend meetings and professional development activities as required
• Adhere to program policies and guidelines
• Collaborate and knowledge share with peers for personal and program development
• Other duties as assigned related to program development and delivery
• Relevant post-secondary education or equivalent
• TESL Ontario certification
• Minimum 2 years’ experience teaching LINC/ESL
• Demonstrated understanding and application of the Canadian Language Benchmarks, and National Language Placement and Progression Guidelines
• Ability to work independently and remotely (private space with computer, high speed internet access and phone), with excellent organizational and time management skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated proficiency in using common computer applications and web-based tools/ applications
• Experience in distance learning and/or educational technology an asset
• Availability during evenings and/or weekends for student appointments an asset
• American Sign Language (ASL) teaching experience an asset
• PBLA training certificate is an asset
• Upon successful hire, must provide a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) police check obtained within past six (6) months at candidate's own expense
We’re looking to welcome people to our diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. We especially welcome applications from members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier-free. So, if you’re excited about this role or another one, please apply on our website - www.achev.ca