The Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture (CCVT) is looking for an experienced, professional, motivated, and dynamic individual to fill the position of a part-time Language Instructor CLB 1-2. The Language Instructor is part of a flexible team who deliver services to learners who are survivors of torture.
- Rate of pay: $39.84 per hour.
- Location when in-person classes resume: Downtown Toronto (Dundas/Jarvis)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- To provide outstanding teaching to create a vibrant culture of learning for students.
- To plan and execute a diverse program to meet individual learner needs within required subjects.
- Make corresponding teaching plans within the subject areas and ensuring these are followed.
- Preparing statistical and narrative monthly reports with regard to students and classes
- Distribution of transportation tokens to students and teaching supplies
- Liaising with other staff members in provision of service to clients
- Experience teaching on ZOOM and managing online teaching platforms e.g ESL Library etc
- Assessing, recording, and reporting on the attendance, progress, development, and attainment of students while keeping electronic records as required.
- Marking and grading students’ work; providing written/verbal feedback.
- Supporting and motivating students to allow them to grow and enhance their studying skills
- Minimum 1 year of teaching experience (educators, professors, tutors, teaching assistants, elementary teachers, or the equivalent in mentoring, tutoring, or alternative education)
- Bachelor’s degree as well as least one teaching certificate - ESL (TEFL/TESOL/CELTA, etc.)
- Flexible with both in-person and online teaching environments.
- Commitment to working within an anti-oppressive and anti-racist framework
How to apply:
Please submit your covering letter and resume by 5:00 p.m. on April 22, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CCVT operates in a unionized environment. Thank you to all applicants for applying. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
No telephone inquiries please.
It is a condition of employment that new employees provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the start date of employment. This means that all new employees must have received at least two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada prior to their start date. In addition, it is a condition of employment that all new hires obtain and submit proof of all required doses of the vaccine and maintain all booster vaccines as approved and recommended by Health Canada. Applicants who have appropriate written proof of a medical reason, or a reason pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may provide such documentation to the Human Resources department. Such situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis in compliance with the Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture’s legal obligations. The Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us and we will ensure the necessary steps are taken to accommodate your needs