The Law Clerk is responsible to the Supervisor of Legal Services and works within the guidelines and procedures established by the department contributing to the overall work of the Legal Services Department.
- Provide Society staff with information regarding legal documentation requirements in preparation for court hearings
- Prepares complete and competent Conference Briefs, Statement of Agreed Facts and Trial Records for legal proceedings
- Present uncontested matters before the Registrar’s Court as required under the direction of counsel and liaise with clients' counsel to confirm clients' position and negotiate details as instructed by Child Protection Workers
- Prepares drafts of Status Review Applications on behalf of the Child Protection Worker
- Check all Notices, Applications and Affidavits for completion and accuracy
- Liaise with the Children’s Aid Society professionals and external professionals requesting access to, or information from, files generated during CAS involvement
- Assist the Legal Assistants and conduct legal research as required and will also assist Counsel in the preparation of contested applications before the Court
- Law Clerk Diploma, or B.A. Degree in Law
- 2 years of experience working in a related field
- Thorough knowledge of CYFSA, Family Court Rules and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge of society’s policies and procedures as they relate to court practices
- Proven ability in using computer software (i.e. MS Office, Lotus Notes, AS400, CPIN and Westlaw)
- Strong English communication skills (both verbally and in writing) with client, staff and community professionals
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with daily deadlines
- Good judgment, excellent organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to work independently, with the possibility of doing some overtime
(1) Temporary Full Time Opportunity – 6 Month - English Position
Salary: Commensurate with training and/or experience: US06 $47,257 to $57,959
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Kanata Satellite Office (Address: 150 Katimavik Road, Suite 2000 Kanata, Ontario K2L 2N2)
How to Apply:
If interested in the above position, apply online, before 11:59pm. on Sunday February 3, 2019.
CASO is committed to a candidate selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. In order to ensure candidates are assessed in a fair and equitable manner, accommodations will be provided to prospective employees in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code.