Reporting to the Manager, Adult Languages Program, the Coordinator is responsible for assisting in the overall leadership and operation of the LINC/ESL program as it grows and develops across multiple locations in the Halton region. The incumbent will also assist in the development of the overall vision and strategic direction of the program, while building positive relationships with staff, instructors and regional partners at large. S/he will fully engage in various initiatives in support of language education & integration of newcomer families into the community.
- Supervise the day-to-day operations of the program staff, assist with emergent classroom/learner/instructor needs, the CNC (Care for Newcomer Children) program, and volunteers
- Work with the manager to determine metrics (program goals/needs & enrolment statistics) to assist in the periodic review and annual program planning processes. Assist in developing new initiatives to address local labour market trends and gaps in service
- Monitor the CNC program to ensure compliance with CMAS (Childminding Monitoring Advisory & Support); regularly liaise with CMAS staff on matters pertaining to the CNC program including in the development of additional programs
- Plan and/or facilitate professional development activities for instructors and staff. Attend partnership sub-committee meetings, identify and liaise with the HDSB Welcome Centre and regional stakeholders to increase awareness of the newcomer language programs
- In collaboration with manager and HDSB colleagues, develop and execute a marketing and communications plan to increase the visibility & awareness of HDSB’s language and settlement services, internally and externally
- A Bachelor’s degree in Education or Humanities plus OCELT certification
- Three years of experience in the field of LINC/ESL programs of which at least one includes supervising instructors, scheduling classes, coordinating some areas of the program budget
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of IRCC- and MCCSS-funded programs, their mandate and reporting requirements. Working knowledge of HARTs and iCARE (data gathering and reporting tools)
- Knowledge of the CNC program & CMAS (Childminding Monitoring Advisory & Support) guidelines
- Knowledge of the annual program performance & language assessment protocols
- Ability to liaise with internal partners to identify and resolve issues relating to space or classroom usability, including ongoing technology improvements
- Ability to collect and monitor information about program-related workflows and processes; develop, refine and recommend operations manual (e.g. standard operating procedures and processes) in support of daily operations.
Salary: $65,770 to $78,444 – Band 5
Work Schedule: 35 hours/week, 12 months/year
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Gary Allan High School - Continuing Education; Burlington Campus, 3250 New Street, Burlington
How to apply:
Applications, along with your resume and other supporting documents must be submitted through Apply to Education – www.applytoeducation.com by Tuesday, September 28, 2020 at 4:00p.m.
Job Category: Management & Professionals - Job Code #2917619
First consideration for posted vacancies will be given to qualified applicants from the employee group in which the vacancy occurs.
Equity: We believe that every person has a right to equitable treatment and freedom from discrimination.
The Halton District School Board recognizes the intents contained in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Upon request, we will make reasonable interview and employment accommodations during the selection process, based on any of the human rights protected grounds.
Student Safety: Ensuring the safety of our students is essential. For this reason, external applicants hired to the HDSB must provide an original copy of an acceptable criminal background check with vulnerable sector screening.
Wellness: The HDSB is committed to providing a respectful and healthy work environment.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in opportunities with the Halton District School Board. Contact will be made with applicants whose experience and qualifications most closely match the requirements of the position. Communication with short-listed applicants will be made through the email address provided on the applicants’ Apply To Education profile page.