Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
The Multicultural Liaison Officer (MLO) provides settlement needs assessment, information and referral services for immigrant and refugee families and students at school sites, works closely with school staff and helps facilitate cross-cultural communication between schools and newcomer families and students.
Within the framework of the MLO Program, the successful candidate will:
- Provide settlement needs assessment, information and referral services for immigrant and refugee parents
- Encourage and support parental involvement and engagement in their children's education through workshops and information sessions
- Provide cultural interpretation and facilitate communication between school staff and newcomer families
- Connect newcomer students to school and community resources
- Provide cross-cultural information for staff at the schools and other service providers who interact with newcomer families and support relationship building between the schools and newcomer communities
- Post-secondary education in social sciences, education, or a related field or the equivalent experience
- Knowledge and experience in community outreach, development and social services delivery
- Experience in working with newcomer communities
- Proven ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team environment
- Familiar with and knowledgeable about Ontario Education System
- Familiar with and knowledgeable about school board (OCDSB and OCSB), policies and practices
- Proven extensive skills and experience in workshop development and facilitation
- Knowledge of community resources
- Proficiency with current computer applications including the MS Office Suite, internet based productivity tools and databases
- Self-motivated, able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal and written knowledge of English and Arabic essential, other languages are an asset
Salary & Benefits: $41,200 – $43,100 annually, based on a 35 hour work week (prorated for part-time). Comprehensive benefits plan including health, dental, an RRSP plan and a generous leave entitlement.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and a resume to:
Halimah Shaw, H.R. Administrator
OCISO encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the H.R. Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest, but only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview.