Part-Time Supply Language Instructor for Newcomers
English Language Skills and Development
JOB ID: ELSD861
Employment Type: Part-Time, Permanent
Work Hours: 25 hours per week
Salary: $35,235 (L5) (Pro-rated April 2023 pay rate), plus comprehensive benefits
Location 222 Dixon Road, Suite 205, Etobicoke, ON M9P 3S5
Application Internal Deadline: Monday, April 3 2023
Application External Deadline: Wednesday, April 5 2023
JOIN OUR TEAM
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices and anti-oppression principles to ensure that the rights of all individuals are respected and protected. We work to promote a climate that is welcoming of all women and individuals who identify as Trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or Two-Spirit. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people from all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations
The Par-Time Supply Language Instructor for Newcomers Instructor works in collaboration with team members and participates in curricula development, assessment and evaluation of students needs within a women-centred framework. Staff must work within the guidelines, policies and mission of the YWCA Toronto and complies with program expectations funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Immigration Canada.
ABOUT YWCA TORONTO – ENGLISH LANGUAGE SKILLS AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
The English Language Skills and Development Program is a federally funded English language program for newcomer women and offers day language instruction classes from levels 0 through 6.
• Design and provide innovative lesson plans to mixed level classes, consistent with accepted teaching methods and in compliance with Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) Curriculum Guidelines and LINC curriculum;
• Develop thematic curricula which promotes civic engagement and human rights learning outcomes for newcomer women;
• Conduct Portfolio Based Language Assessments (PBLA) of learners and provide on-going feedback to students upon assessments;
• Assist students to maintain their PBLA portfolio binders and complete the required documents;
• Integrate classroom teaching with computer assisted language learning (CALL) using ESL educational software;
• Ensure compliance with funding requirements and agency policies and protocols;
• Demonstrate commitment to customer service and advocate on behalf of clients when appropriate.
• In-depth knowledge of an academic discipline normally acquired through courses leading to an undergraduate degree (e.g. social sciences, adult education, and psychology) (Cases for Equivalency will be considered);
• In-depth knowledge of needs and issues of ESL and newcomer learners;
• Current TESL Ontario Certificate of Accreditation is required;
• Experience teaching multi-levels in a multi-cultural environment;
• 3-5 years’ recent experience in Teaching English as a Second Language to adult learners;
• Experience in developing and delivering LINC curriculum;
• Experience in online language teaching software;
• Knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB);
• Training in and experience with Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA;
• Ability to think strategically, problem solve creatively and to prioritize on an on-going basis;
• Proficiency in computer skills with knowledge of ESL educational software, and MS Office;
• Ability to work independently with solid time management and organizational skills;
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to defuse and/or ensure suitable resolution of potentially controversial sensitive topics or situations;
• Strong ability to prepare lessons in accordance with needs of the students.
Note: Required to take vacation time during the times when the program is closed to students; required to be in class 5 minutes before class starts. Classes are usually held in-person but are currently being delivered in a hybrid model due to COVID-19 protocols.
Vaccination Policy: - In accordance with YWCA Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, all YWCA Toronto employees, students and volunteers are strongly encouraged to obtain all COVID-19 vaccinations and booster doses as recommended by Toronto Public Health.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé to: Maria Yonzon, Manager of English Language Skills and Development at email@example.com. Please quote JOB ID number ELSD861and your name in the subject line.
Please note: A vulnerable sector police reference check is required by the successful candidate prior to hiring. YWCA Toronto is a unionized workplace. Staff are represented by CUPE Local 2189. This position is within the Bargaining Unit. Please indicate on your cover letter and your email subject line, if you are an internal candidate. For internal applicants, this position is not secondable.
YWCA Toronto promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women and gender diverse people of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations.
YWCA Toronto provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
YWCA Toronto is a Scent-Sensitive Workplace.
Posting date: March 23, 2023