Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants - OCASI acts as a collective voice for immigrant and refugee-serving organizations and coordinates response to shared needs and concerns. OCASI is a registered charity governed by a volunteer board of directors. OCASI’s membership is comprised of 220 community-based organizations in Ontario. Typical activities include providing professional training to enhance skills of practitioners, working with communities, government and policy decision makers to enhance the economic, social and cultural contributions of immigrants and refugees and supporting community-based research. For information about OCASI, visit www.ocasi.org.
Note: The position is open to full-time students aged 15-30 years who is intending to return to their full-time studies in 2019; are legally entitled to work in Canada and must be either a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred.
About the Position:
The summer student position is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in careers such as Research & Policy studies or Program support/development in the not-for profit sector, especially those interested in the immigration and refugee sector.
Support ongoing professional development and outreach activities of OCASI’s Capacity Team in Genderbased Violence and Mental Health Promotion Projects including conducting general research and assisting in event planning and management
- Assist with online research on existing resources and supports available for outreach and community education on Violence Against Women in immigrant and refugee communities
- Perform administrative tasks and logistical support for events
- Carry out other administrative tasks as assigned (e.g. prepare meeting agendas and minutes, expense claim forms, etc.)
- Knowledge and understanding of settlement issues, barriers and information needs of newcomers
- Strong knowledge and understanding of violence against women issues in immigrant and refugee communities, anti-racism and anti-oppression
- Strong research, written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, independent, ability to meet tight deadlines and demanding schedules
- Demonstrated ability in performing administrative and clerical tasks
- Bilingual is an asset
General Requirements for the Position:
Candidates are expected to:
- Have well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, partners, staff and volunteers
- Have the ability to plan, organize and prioritize work activities; possess initiative and good judgment; work with little supervision and enjoy working as a team member in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated sensitivity to other cultures and ability to outreach to newcomer communities
- The student will have a commitment to and awareness of equity, access to service issues, antiracism and anti-oppression as it relates to immigrants and refugees
- Perform other duties as assigned
Compensation: $15 per hour
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume by Friday May 24, 2019 to:
Hiring Committee, OCASI
(Please include PDT Summer Student Position in the subject heading)
OCASI is committed to Employment Equity.
Thank you to all applicants for applying. However, we regret that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.