Hours: 37.5 hours weekly
Hourly rate: $24.10 + benefits
Start date: April 1st, 2023
The Project Coordinator will facilitate a two-year, youth-led groundwork project entitled A Roadmap to Justice, which is a collaborative partnership between the FCJ Youth Network and the Centre for Refugee Children. The project will engage refugee and migrant youth in Ontario to identify ways to make Canada’s immigration and refugee system more child and youth friendly. The Project Coordinator will engage in research, support youth in collecting the lived-experiences of other migrant youth, and will lead the development of a Theory of Change and Implementation Plan to bring about future changes in Canada’s immigration system. This is a joint position of the FCJ Refugee Centre and the Centre for Refugee Children. The Project Coordinator will be an employee of the FCJ Refugee Centre and will be directly supervised by the Centre for Refugee Children staff for the duration of the project.
- Conduct a comprehensive review of Canada’s immigration and refugee system as it relates to supports for children and youth, identifying existing research, models and best practice documents.
- Facilitate youth leadership in the Roadmap to Justice project through the development and ongoing support of a Youth Leadership Committee, including supporting the formation of a committee governance model/terms of reference.
- Provide support to the Youth Leadership Committee in gathering lived-experience feedback of migrant children and youth using tools such as workshops, interviews, focus groups and surveys.
- Collaborate with the Youth Leadership Committee to new develop partnerships with other youth-led and youth-serving groups to strengthen the collaborative and advance the project.
- Collaborate with the Centre for Refugee Children staff to strengthen existing relationships with community partners and government agencies.
- Support the Youth Leadership Committee and other identified partners in developing a journey map and action plan with recommendations for future work to make the immigration system more child and youth friendly, based on the information collected directly from youth.
- Co-organize a knowledge sharing event at the culmination of the two-year groundwork project.
- Participate in quarterly meetings of the Unaccompanied and Separated Children’s Network in Ontario.
- Participate in and support regularly meetings and activities of the FCJ Youth Network, in collaboration with the Youth Program staff at FCJ Refugee Centre.
- Track Youth Leadership Committee member participation and other youth participation to support accurate and timely disbursement of honoraria to youth throughout the project.
- Adhere to organizational policies, including confidentiality, reporting and anti-oppression.
- Currently between the ages of 18-25
- Lived experience as a refugee or migrant youth in Ontario
- Strong facilitation skills to lead collaborative project with youth and other stakeholders
- Proficiency with use of computers and Microsoft Office 365
- Proficiency in written and oral English
- Knowledge in communication tools such as Zoom, WhatsApp and social media
- Experience in providing mentorship/leadership/peer-support to other youth
- Experience in working with newcomer youth (immigrant, refugee, or non-status) an asset
- Experience in project design or management an asset
- Second language an asset
Applicants for this position must be between the ages of 18-25 and have lived experience as a refugee or migrant in Ontario. As an employer who values diversity in its workforce, we encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minority, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from applicants who identify as Black or Indigenous.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and résumé by email only (in word format) by Sunday, March 26, 2023. Resumes and cover letters should be submitted to contact@CRCrefugee.ca and should include 'Project Coordinator' in the subject line.
We appreciate the time that all prospective candidates put into this process, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.