Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization - OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
Responsible for the creation and delivery of classes for the Real English program twice a week at 1800 Bank Street. Real English is made up of non-progressing literacy learners who are exposed to project based lessons and kinesthetic learning.
- Manage up to 14 students based on program needs, on a continuous intake basis for those with non-progressing literacy levels
- Develop/adapt and deliver learning activities with an emphasis on kinesthetic learning
- Plan, organize and direct all activities as required for the full implementation of program goals and objectives
- Conduct initial and ongoing assessment of course participants
- Identify resources and technology appropriate to support language training at the relevant level
- Accommodate special learning needs faced by equity groups and those from diverse cultures
- Other duties as assigned related to program development and delivery
- Relevant post-secondary education
- TESL/ TESOL/ TEFL /CELTA Certificate
- TESL Ontario accreditation in good standing
- Familiarity with LINC Curriculum Guidelines and Canadian Language Benchmarks
- Experience teaching and assessing newcomer adults at lower levels
- Highly developed interpersonal skills: energetic / enthusiastic
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment
- Familiarity with services provided by OCISO
- Understanding of immigrant/settlement issues
- Ability and willingness to support and co-ordinate the contributions of volunteers, researchers and practicum students
Term: Part-time – 6 hours/week (39 weeks/year) November 2019 – Indefinite
Reports to: LINC Manager
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and a resume to:
Halimah Shaw, H.R. Administrator
Fax: (613) 288-2674
OCISO encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
Thank you to all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.