Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization - OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
Refugee 613 is an agile and innovative communications hub that informs, connects and inspires people to welcome refugees and build strong communities. Created by a network of volunteers, settlement agencies, sponsorship groups and community partners, we are an independent, non-partisan, grassroots effort. OCISO is the host agency for Refugee 613.
The Project Assistant will provide key support to Refugee 613 in its mission to support the integration of refugees in Ottawa.
Reports to: Project Coordinator, Refugee 613
- Assist the Project Coordinator with community outreach to inform, connect and inspire Ottawa to support refugees
- Assist with planning and executing events, including training and workshops for community partners, private refugee sponsors and the general public
- Perform administrative tasks as required, including meeting coordination, bookkeeping, expenses and correspondence
- Compile and design newsletters and other resources to connect community partners sponsors and the general public to information, services and opportunities
- Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect approach
- 15 to 30 years old
- Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or a person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, engaging communications with excellent grammar and style
- Highly motivated, creative and organized
- Experience planning and delivering learning and social events
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills
- Advanced verbal and written knowledge of English required; verbal and written fluent proficiency in French an asset. Proficiency in both languages will be verified at the interview stage
- Ability to work with a small, mission-driven team in a sensitive, respectful manner
- Experience in working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task and work independently
- Proficiency with the full MS Office Suite, Mail Chimp, WordPress, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Term: June 19, 2019 - August 28, 2019 (10 weeks, 35hrs/week)
Salary: $15-18 per hour (commensurate with experience)
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume by May 24, 2019 to:
Halimah Shaw, H.R Administrator
- A cover letter, maximum 250 words, with the following file name: ProjectAssistant_NAME_CoverLetter
- A resume with the following file name: ProjectAssistant_NAME_Resume
OCISO encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.