OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
About Refugee 613:
Refugee 613 is an agile and innovative communications hub that informs, connects and inspires people to welcome refugees and build strong communities. Created by a network of volunteers, settlement agencies, sponsorship groups and community partners, we are an independent, non-partisan, grassroots effort. OCISO is the host agency for Refugee 613.
The Communications Assistant will support Refugee 613 staff to maintain social media channels and additional communications activities, dedicated to keeping Ottawa residents informed about refugee issues and inspiring them to become part of our community’s active welcome.
Reports to: Communications Specialist, Refugee 613
- Write and edit content for social media, newsletters and other platforms to inform community partners, private refugee sponsors and the general public
- Manage social media accounts, including planning, execution and analytics
- Manage the Refugee 613 content calendar
- Support the execution of Refugee 613’s communications plan as needed
- Represent Refugee 613 to the highest standard online and in person
- Support the maintenance of the Refugee 613 website
- Administrative tasks as required, including meeting and event support
- Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect approach
- 15 to 30 years old
- Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or a person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Demonstrated track record of writing and editing for digital platforms
- Experience managing social media
- Highly motivated, creative and organized
- Experience creating and editing videos an asset
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills
- Advanced verbal and written knowledge of English required; verbal and written fluency in French an asset. Proficiency will be verified during interview
- Ability to work with a small, mission-driven team in a sensitive, respectful manner
- Experience in working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Strong work ethic, ability to multi-task and work independently
- Proficiency with the full MS Office Suite, Mail Chimp, WordPress, Hoot suite, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Term: June 17, 2019 - August 23, 2019 (10 weeks, 35hrs/week)
Salary: $15-18 per hour (commensurate with experience)
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume by 5:00 p.m. on May 24, 2019 to:
Halimah Shaw, H.R Administrator
- A cover letter, maximum 250 words, with the file name: CommunicationsAssistant_NAME_CoverLetter
- A resume with the following file name: CommunicationsAssistant_NAME_Resume
- Two samples of your writing, maximum 500 words each, with the following file name: CommunicationsAssistant_NAME_Sample1 and CommunicationsAssistant_NAME_Sample2
OCISO encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.