Position Type: Full time Contract
Working Hours: 35 per week
Location: Peel Region
Brampton Multicultural Community Centre (BMC) is a charitable organization, established in Peel Region in 1987. Its mandate and core business is to enable newcomers, immigrant individuals and families to achieve their full potential and become productive participants in their adopted land. The School Settlement Counsellor will provide settlement and counselling support services in first language to students and parents to ensure that newcomer families are aware of and enabled to access the full array of community services.
• Provide on-site settlement services for newcomer students and their families, including case management, information, referrals, interpretation, translation, advocacy, access to services, guidance and support services
• Providing counselling, and referral on settlement issues and providing assistance to students and parents to ease school orientation
• Program planning, development, monitoring, case management, evaluation and documentation.
• Supporting school activities such as parent-teacher interviews, registration, open houses, school councils and other school programming
• Facilitating/conducting group information sessions for newcomers on community services and school-related topics
• Communicating with school staff at all levels (teachers, principals, social workers etc.)
• Identifying common trends and needs within the school’s newcomer community and providing recommendations to the school principal on how to better meet those needs
• Assisting in the operation of agency's programs & services including information updating, compiling monthly statistics, activity and outcome report submitted on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis
• Distributing promotional material about the services for newcomers at BMC service locations and creating awareness of our services in the community
• To evaluate the outcome of the program and the ability to do in-depth analysis
• Any other duties related to the settlement services and this position
• Post-secondary education: Degree/Diploma in Social Work or Social Services
• Minimum of two (2) years relevant experience in settlement sector with proven experience in assisting newcomers with settlement issues.
• Extensive knowledge of the immigration system and community services, programs, resources and outreach practices. Strong understanding of issues facing immigrants/newcomers in Peel region
• Ability to work independently and co-operatively and a team player
• Ability to work with school / library personnel in meeting the needs of newcomer clients and their families
• Ability to work off-site in meeting the needs of newcomers
• Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal communication
• Excellent Computer skills: Office 365 - MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and CTIMS (database)
• Fluent in English and ability to speak Tamil language is a definite asset.
• Flexible to work evenings or weekends on a regular basis
• Police Record Check for Vulnerable Sector is required as part of the hiring process
• Must have own transportation, driver license and valid insurance to use your vehicle for job related travelling.
BMC is an equal opportunity employer that promotes the principles of diversity and equity, and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodations are available upon request; all requests must be made to the HR department in advance.
(WE THANK YOU FOR APPLYING. ONLY CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED)
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter in ONE document (PDF, Word or Rich Text Format) referencing:
BMC-JC-0222 – School Settlement Counsellor by January 24th, 2023 to:
Human Resources Department
Brampton Multicultural Community Centre
197 County Court Blvd, Suite 303
Brampton, ON L6W 4P6