Brampton Multicultural Community Centre (BMC) is a charitable organization, established in Peel Region in 1987. Its mandate and core business is to enable newcomers, immigrant’s individuals and families to achieve their full potential and become productive participants in their adopted land.
The Settlement Counsellor will provide settlement and counselling support services in first language to students and parents to ensure that newcomer families are aware of and enabled to access the full array of community services.
- Program planning, development, monitoring, case management, evaluation and documentation
- Providing counselling and referral on settlement issues and providing assistance to ease school orientation
- Supporting school activities such as parent-teacher interviews, kindergarten registration, open houses, school councils and other school programming
- Facilitating/conducting group information sessions for newcomers i.e community services and school-related topics
- Communicating with school staff at all levels
- Identifying common trends and needs within the school’s newcomer community and providing recommendations to the school principal on how to better meet those needs
- Communicating with teachers and/or principals of schools
- Supporting the Board initiatives
- Assisting in the operation of agency's programs & services including information updating, filing, compiling monthly statistics, activity and outcome report monthly, quarterly, yearly basis
- Distributing promotional material about the services for newcomers at BMC service locations and creating awareness of our services in the community
- Any other duties related to the settlement services and this position
- Reports to Executive Director and/or his/her designate
- Post-secondary education: Degree/Diploma in Social Work or Social Services
- Minimum of two (2) years relevant experience in settlement sector with proven experience in assisting newcomers with settlement issues
- Extensive knowledge of the immigration system and community services, programs, resources and outreach practices
- Experience working with youth and families; Experience in a school environment is an asset
- Strong understanding of issues facing immigrants/newcomers in Peel region
- Ability to work independently and co-operatively and a team player
- Ability to work with school personnel in meeting the needs of newcomer students and their families
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal communication
- Effective report writing ability and evaluation of program
- Excellent Computer skills: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OTIS
- Fluent in English and ability to speak, read and write Urdu/Hindi/Punjabi is a definite asset
- Flexible to work evenings or weekends if and when required
- Police Record Check for Vulnerable Sector is required as part of the hiring process
- Must have own transportation, driver license and valid insurance to use your vehicle for job related travelling.
Position Type: Full Time Temp - Working Hours: 35 per week - Location: Peel Region
How to apply:
Please email your resume along with a cover letter referencing
BMC-JC-0145-Settlement Counsellor by December 11, 2017 to:
Maryam Haseeb, Human Resources Department
Brampton Multicultural Community Centre
197 County Court Blvd, Suite 303
Brampton, ON L6W 4P6
BMC is an equal opportunity employer that promotes the principles of diversity and equity, and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodations are available upon request; all requests must be made to the HR department in advance.
Thank you to all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.