Program Overview – Adult Settlement Services, Community Programs
Newcomer Services has served newcomers and refugees in Toronto for over four decades. Its mandate is to help newcomers and refugees settle, adjust, and integrate into society. Funded by the three levels of government, WoodGreen Newcomer Services operates English language training programs, settlement services, employment support programs, mentorship, networking activities, and social and recreational activities. Newcomer Programs & Services is committed to providing friendly and professional services to all newcomers to help them connect with Canadian society and their new way of life.
The individual is responsible for supporting newcomers and their families in their integration process by providing timely and accurate information and orientation, facilitating attachments to vital key services and resources internally and externally with the goal of helping newcomers, with special attention to Ukrainian temporary residents under CUAET and refugees, make informed decisions and engage in social, economic, and civic life in Canada.
What You Will Do
• Provide one-on-one support to newcomers/families in their settlement and integration process with special attention to Ukrainian temporary residents under CUAET.
• Engage clients in a holistic intake and assessment process to identify and prioritize settlement needs individually and for the family and develop settlement plans based on identified needs.
• Identify, link, and coordinate clients to appropriate multiple internal and external resources responsive to client needs taking into consideration culture, language, and background.
• Actively leverage internal programs/services and work with external service providers and government agencies to maximize newcomers’ access to resources and to enhance services.
• Plan, develop, facilitate, and evaluate group programs and activities.
• Plan, implement, and evaluate an outreach plan that promotes the range of opportunities available to newcomers and their families.
• Engage in all aspects of program monitoring and evaluation.
• Offer a full suite of settlement services at a variety of sites with partnership organizations.
• Collaborate with WoodGreen teams and other agencies to plan service to meet client needs.
• Maintain accurate, up-to-date records, including statistical data, and complete reports, and enter data to relevant data management systems.
• Meet the prescribed target for clients and related services.
• Keep current on all immigration and government services changes to ensure service quality.
• Attend community meetings, activities and events, and actively promote WoodGreen.
• Maintain all aspects of confidentiality relating to community partners, community members, and clients.
• Ensure the anti-racism objectives and community development principles of the organization are achieved within the program.
• Participates in regular supervisory sessions with the Manager of Settlement Services.
• Participates in regular staff, unit and other meetings.
What You Bring to the Team
• Bachelor Degree in Social Work, Education or a related discipline.
• 2+ years’ experience working one-on-one to provide settlement services to newcomers.
• Second language: Ukrainian/Russian required.
What Will Set You Apart
• Experience and skills serving clients from Ukraine under CUAET.
• Strong knowledge of needs, issues, and resources of newcomers, immigrants.
• Experience working with low-income, multi-racial, multi-lingual immigrant communities.
• Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and effective communication with clients, staff, volunteers, and agency partners.
• Cultural sensitivity and ability to communicate with clients from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
• Demonstrated experience in case management and supportive counseling.
• Strong intake and assessment skills; demonstrated information and referral skills.
• Experienced in workshop development, evaluation, and facilitation.
• Demonstrated ability to work and cooperate in a team and cross team.
• Strong organizational/planning skills and ability to meet deadlines.
• Strong technology and documentation skills to inform program and meet requirements.