ACSA is a nonprofit, multi service agency addressing needs and empowering children, youth, newcomers, homeless, and otherwise underserved communities. Our core programs include housing and outreach programs, food security programs, newcomer services, youth outreach and therapy programs, child and family programs, early years’ programs, computer access programs, and community engagement.
Summary of Job Functions
ACSA Newcomer and Settlement Department is looking to hire a skilled individual with experience in working with newcomers particularly refugees who face multiple barriers in managing life crisis which is magnified even more by the pandemic. The SETTLEMENT COUNSELOR position will work with a team of Settlement Counselors to help newcomers, immigrants and refugees in their settlement process as particularly connecting the client to various resources to address their basic needs such as food, housing, etc. and organizing capacity building initiatives for the newcomer families and their children. The applicant must demonstrate experience in project coordination, case management, counseling, virtual training, information and referral and crisis management. This position requires the staff to provide in-person services and requires staff to be fluent in a second language preferably Pastho/Dari/Persian languages.
• Provide a spectrum of settlement services to marginalized and vulnerable newcomers;
• Work collaboratively with Newcomers’ Centre staff and external community partners to reach out to newcomers qualified for the program and develop partnerships and programs that will enhance community based programs and services for newcomers;
• Plan, facilitate and evaluate life skills courses and orientation workshops;
• Responsible for related administration, systems and organization to support work, including maintaining up-to-date knowledge of social service programs linking to first language and settlement community groups; maintaining client files, program statistics and compliance with privacy legislation;
• Conduct weekly virtual/phone check-ins to provide supportive counseling for clients;
• Prepare essential packages for the newcomer families;
• Provide support to newcomer kids and youth;
• Virtual Information sessions related to crisis support, self-care, accessing City funded programs, and sessions on capacity building;
• Kids support packages- Prepare fun and educational packages for kids to engage them during quarantine period and also help parents manage the demands of online school learning and keeping kids engaged and safe;
• Provide digital literacy support.
Qualifications/ Skills Required:
• Graduate of Community Service, Social Service and related programs
• At least 1 year of demonstrated successful experience in coordinating employment projects working with vulnerable population such as asylum seekers, or newcomers facing significant barriers;
• Excellent skills in case management and counseling;
• Excellent skills in conducting virtual training;
• Excellent English communication skills (verbal and written)
• Ability to speak another language is a must with preference given to those who speak Pashto, Dari, Persian
• Excellent internal and external customer service focus;
• Extensive experience in cross-cultural counseling;
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team with minimal supervision;
• Excellent writing and time management skills;
• Communicate effectively with clients and colleagues;
• G2 or G Driver’s License is an asset;
• Excellent in computer and online platform;
• Availability to work evenings and weekends.
Please apply by email (cover letter & resume in one attachment) to:
Attention: Jamillah T. Mananghaya-Poernama, Senior Manager
Please quote: Settlement Counselor in the subject line of your email.
No phone calls please.
ACSA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from all communities inclusive of race, culture, religion, gender, sexual orientation and with differing abilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the position. However, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.